HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Unicorn Meat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/396994-unicorn-meat.html)

Omega45 01-12-2015 09:16 AM

Nice Unicorn!! You gonna uncage the Dragon for a hunt? :)

Semisane 01-12-2015 09:35 AM

Cayugad, you're right. He dropped and didn't even twitch.

Semisane 01-12-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 4180031)
Nice Unicorn!! You gonna uncage the Dragon for a hunt? :)

Omega45, I haven't shot the Dragon beyond 100 yards and wouldn't take a shot on a deer beyond that range without knowing the trajectory for sure.

For the remainder of the season I'll be hunting a foodplot that offers shots as far out as 175 yards. So I'll probably stick with the Renegade for the added range. I'm confident in the trajectory of those 465 grainers in the Renegade out to 150 yards.

oldsmellhound 01-13-2015 05:55 AM

Awesome! Nice harvest - should be good eating.... Looks like you didn't ruin any meat with that shot either.

bronko22000 01-13-2015 05:58 AM

Congrats on a successful hunt and a good shot. I hear unicorn meat is very good this time of year. Especially with a little onion and garlic and served with mashed taters and a veggie of your choosing.

Semisane 01-13-2015 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound (Post 4180133)
Looks like you didn't ruin any meat with that shot either.

You're right about that SmellyDog. I've taken two deer with this bullet and both dropped at the shot (even with an Oops shot) and both had minimum bloodshot meat. Low velocity heavy lead with a flat point seems to have that virtue.

oldsmellhound 01-14-2015 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4180151)
You're right about that SmellyDog. I've taken two deer with this bullet and both dropped at the shot (even with an Oops shot) and both had minimum bloodshot meat. Low velocity heavy lead with a flat point seems to have that virtue.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm a meat hunter, 100%, and while I love my .40 cal SST's, they tend to give more meat damage than what I would prefer. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a big, heavy lead bullet that I can shoot out of a .45....

Blackpowdersmoke 01-14-2015 05:03 PM

Nice job Semi!!...

Our second week of ML season (flintlock only) was TERRIBLE weather for hunting! We had single digit temps for lows to high teens every day but the wind was HORRENDOUS!! Wind chill factor was unbearable. Now, I'm not above hunting in extreme temps, but the deer will lay down and not move unless you push them. Forget about getting on a stand and having some deer pass by.... ain't gonna happen!! Our late season ended Jan. 10th (a Saturday) and we had a warm trend coming in for the beginning of the week.
I told my wife that the deer would be on their feet and moving the first day this cold spell breaks and sure enough, Sunday morning the 11th. was a balmy 21 degrees so 9 deer came out of the brushlot and walked through my back yard headed to the neighbor's corn, the day after the season ended!!

BPS

Semisane 01-14-2015 07:11 PM

BPS, don't you know that all deer have the Season app and Prime Hunter Activity app on their cell phones? Probably have GOOGLE Maps too, with all food sources and stands bookmarked.