HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   blackhorn powder and sub zero temps (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/396906-blackhorn-powder-sub-zero-temps.html)

Grouse45 01-08-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4179355)

The powder chamber of the Blackhorn QRBP plug is so deep that if one installed a vent liner in it, the flame channel could end up being only 1/4" long. Enlarging the flame channel to 5/32" would be beneficial.

Looking at the picture you supplied, im surprised there is a problem with that plug.

ronlaughlin 01-08-2015 06:51 AM

To my knowledge there is no problem with the plug when it comes to igniting Blackhorn. The interior dimensions are virtually identical to the Encore/Omega plug. Western Powders knew the Omega plug worked reliably to ignite their powder, so when they made a plug themselves, it seems they just copied the plug that worked the best.

buckfever37 01-08-2015 06:54 AM

The only thing I can think of is the action of blowing on the plug trying to get old powder off. Really didn't think it hurt but if any saliva got on the plug that could cause moisture. I'm also thinking it was cause of putting it in warm truck. I noticed the primer was cleaner than normal. I been getting some dirty primers when I have shot it. Maybe the the primer was more of a dud? I accidentally washed one our speed loaders last night. Couldn't believe it when I threw the powder in the fire place. It flamed up immediately. I'm at a loss and we only have 3 days left of season so way I see it we don't have time to mess with sighting in a different powder.

Grouse45 01-08-2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by buckfever37 (Post 4179375)
I'm at a loss and we only have 3 days left of season so way I see it we don't have time to mess with sighting in a different powder.

In my opinion, you would of had the same problem with any other powder as well. Clean and put the gun back together and go hunting.

d.winsor 01-08-2015 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 4179301)
??? He said it fizzled and the bullet only went a few feet... What in the h3ll does it matter what the bullet or sabot combo was? It sounds like a moisture problem to me!

BPS

It matters a He!! of a lot, loose fit bullet over BH 209 is asking for FTF

buckfever37 01-08-2015 07:14 AM

Only other thing I noticed is my the firing pin. The fat end seems a little worn. Its the end that hammer strikes. Took my daughter firing pin out of her wolf and mine has more wear. Kind of shiny and smooth. Would that of caused any problems with not striking the primer hard enough?

ronlaughlin 01-08-2015 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by buckfever37 (Post 4179375)
......I been getting some dirty primers when I have shot it.....

These dirty primers indicate some debris is getting around the primer, and perhaps also into the firing pin bushing. Perhaps your firing pin was sticking in the bushing in the extreme cold, because of debris between the firing pin, and the bushing.

d.winsor 01-08-2015 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4179386)
These dirty primers indicate some debris is getting around the primer, and perhaps also into the firing pin bushing. Perhaps your firing pin was sticking in the bushing in the extreme cold, because of debris between the firing pin, and the bushing.

Are you serious or are you trolling, I don't think that gun will ever work for you, you may as well mail it to me!

ronlaughlin 01-08-2015 07:32 AM

Yes, i was serious.. If the blow back gets past the primer into the bushing, it will make the firing pin motion 'sticky'. It is conceivable, at least to me his, firing pin may have been not freely moving in the bitter cold weather, and hit the primer weakly. It was just a thought..

Well, i guess since i am not worthy of owning my rifle.. send me your address, and i may send you my rifle.

buckfever37 01-08-2015 07:58 AM

Hey Ron can you read post number 26 and tell me if that matters?

I take out the firing pin every time I clean it. So I don't think there was debris. Though that very thing is what was wrong with my brothers traditions. He got it to fire bh for several shots after cleaning firing pin. Then it failed on him again.