Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Initial Impressions on the Redfield Revenge >

Initial Impressions on the Redfield Revenge

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Initial Impressions on the Redfield Revenge

Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Initial Impressions on the Redfield Revenge

A while back I had purchased a Redfield Revenge on the recommendations of some forum members I really admire. The scope is a 3-9x42mm. This is the first 42mm I have ever owned.

I mounted it on a White Model M97 Whitetail Hunter .451 caliber rifle. I did this so later, I can play as some long range shooting with large conicals. But for now, I only wanted to get it close at 50 yards.

I was shooting a Bull Shop 460 grain Conical with 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I was using Winchester Magnum #11 caps as ignition. It was overcast today, looking like it would snow any second. And warm being 20 degrees and no wind. It was nice not to have to bundle up.

I started on a very clean barrel and just walked the conical hits to the small piece of duct tape I had put on cardboard. (the target I taped on it fell off... so I put some super duct tape on it.)

The rifle as normal, shot fine. Great trigger, fast plunger style gun. But this is about the scope.

I have to say I was very impressed with the Redfield Revenge. Clarity I would have to rate Excellent. The field of view was fantastic, and the clear and exact vision I could obtain with the scope was perfect for me. Also the controls of the scope turn very easy and clean. In this cold weather I expected some sticky knobs but ... none of that happened. The BDC dots, while they played no part in today's shoot were very easy to pick out. Just a very impressive scope is about how I would rate it. I only shot ten shots mind you (the other target got 2 before it fell) and I would have shot more, but my hands got cold and then I got a phone call.

Over all I think I am going to like this scope. I know my White does.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, I bought one of the Revenges Accu-Ranger Hunter models when they first came out I bought the rifle model with the built in Range Finder at that time and put it on one of my Ulites. I agree with your assessments of the scope and I was also totally surprised at my perceived quality of the product. The only thing I initially did not like was the size of the outer dual X cross bars. The inner crosshairs were perfect for me. I later, while hunting in a very low light situation came to really appreciate the heavier outer cross bars. Since buying the original Revenge, I have purchased two more for myself and one for Bigtimer - the last two being of the ML variety.

I really do like this reticule and the way it operates..

I have to say in my case with the Hunter model the range finder is really not a lot of help on a muzzleloader because it really does not show ranges under 200 yards. The ML reticule on the other hand does work well.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-03-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

The instructions were explaining how to tell distanced with the cross hairs. It was a little confusing, but I think I understand it. I was shocked at how detailed the adjustment dials are. But the clarity just blew me away.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 5 of them and have no issues at all.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like some good shooting, Cayugad. I have one of those scopes on an Optima 50 cal. I have not taken it to a longer range to test the longer range crosshairs yet. I have shot it at 33 yards and it seems to want to put the bullets in the same place, tho. I do not have high dollar sporting equipment, I am used to Bushnell quality glass. This Redfield Revenge is the best scope I have owned, especially if the other crosshairs are accurate.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave not sure if you know this but Redfield has been bought out a few years ago by Leupold. They go through the same rigorous testing as the Leupolds and have a lifetime guarantee. I don't own one but I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Thanks for the good report.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 Redfield scopes. I have their ML scope that you first spoke of on my Knight Ultra-Lite and a scope with their accu range reticle on my deer rifle. I love them both.

Last edited by Bigtimer; 01-04-2015 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader ... So that bracket only judges like 20, 30, 40, etc yards? I guess I better read the instructions again. I am sure the model I have, which looks like your picture, was a muzzle loader model scope.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
The instructions were explaining how to tell distanced with the cross hairs. It was a little confusing, but I think I understand it. I was shocked at how detailed the adjustment dials are. But the clarity just blew me away.

the picture with the deer bracketed in the scope is the ML Reticule. You bracket the torso between the cross hair and upper bracket, then where the range finder line crosses a number in the top scale should be the approximate range.

See if you can get to this simulation

http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

Then go down the page to underneath the scope picture and choose "play demo"

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.