Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
barnes original and sabots >

barnes original and sabots

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barnes original and sabots

Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Grouse

Some shooters just desire to shoot sabots over conicals, even if their ML is mismatched for that purpose. Name 2-3 sabot/bullets you wold recommend to the thread-starter here.
1-Blooodlines by Lehigh Defense are by far the best sabot bullet I've ever used.
2- 275Grn Parker Ballistic Extremes.
3- The 260grn DeadCenter is a fantastic lead bullet.
4- If your stuck on Barnes the 250grn MZ Expander is the best Barnes for an inline Muzzleloader.
5- I don't have any advice for a good conical bullet.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Parker BE would be a great choice considering they expand easily and fly well. I would choose the 300gr but only because of the faster twist. I shoot the 275gr in my NULA just because they are so darn accurate and i usually stick to text book broadside shots.

The larger Precision Rifle bullets would also likely preform well at White speeds. IIRC they offer a fairly heavy 44cal that was originally intended for the Savage.

Barnes Expanders are by far my favorites in the Barnes lineup. The even have them in the XPB lineup. Nearly identical bullet, different name.

All of these have a similar price point as the BO but will perform better at lower MV and impact speeds.

Grouse
Have you tried the 250gr Bloodline in you NULA? Im tinkering with the idea of trying them next year. Ive got a box i haven't tried yet.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

no worries guy's i'm still going to try to get them to fly i'll let you know what i find out. thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
The Parker BE would be a great choice considering they expand easily and fly well. I would choose the 300gr but only because of the faster twist. I shoot the 275gr in my NULA just because they are so darn accurate and i usually stick to text book broadside shots.

The larger Precision Rifle bullets would also likely preform well at White speeds. IIRC they offer a fairly heavy 44cal that was originally intended for the Savage.

Barnes Expanders are by far my favorites in the Barnes lineup. The even have them in the XPB lineup. Nearly identical bullet, different name.

All of these have a similar price point as the BO but will perform better at lower MV and impact speeds.

Grouse
Have you tried the 250gr Bloodline in you NULA? Im tinkering with the idea of trying them next year. Ive got a box i haven't tried yet.
When I was pushing Knight to make an Ultralite I sent them my NULA. They shot a lot of bloodlines with it. I don't ever remember doing it but yes they work great. I personally used the 275grn ballistic Extreme with that gun last time I use it. That was before I met Dave at Lehigh. I'm going to shoot that gun after hunting season for sure.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

Grouse
i presume you are talking to me? no i haven't tried them. i really like heavy bullets that's why i'm so interested in the 300-400 gr originals or even something heavier. i see a lot of guy's talking about long shots and so on but most of the deer i shoot are very close within 50 yards i like getting close maybe it's the bow hunter in me? the deer i just shot on my hunt in december was a whopping 12 yards away shot her with a .504/465 gr no excuses bullet the blood trail looked like there was a massacre with no meat loss at all ! she did manage to get across the field to the tree line they always seem to do that !!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually i was asking Grouse since i know he owns a NULA.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Grouse

Some shooters just desire to shoot sabots over conicals, even if their ML is mismatched for that purpose. Name 2-3 sabot/bullets you wold recommend to the thread-starter here.
actually i don't prefer to shoot sabots it's just at times it hard to do the squib load deal with my white rifles so would like a sabot and clean barrel option to fall back on. i actually shoot the power stars pretty well out of my white .504 but would prefer a copper solid or a better bullet option. thanks !!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Spike

I have one white that seems to have a bigger diameter barrel than the others,I use harvester red crushed ribbed sabot in it.It really tighten up my groups.If you happen to have a 54.I would try mmp purple sabot and a 50 cal bullet,one that's shoots fine for me is speer 50 cal,325 grain hollowpoint.I have never recovered one,so I cant say about the expansion,but I have taken several deer with this bullet and its deadly.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by inghamtr
I have one white that seems to have a bigger diameter barrel than the others,I use harvester red crushed ribbed sabot in it.It really tighten up my groups.If you happen to have a 54.I would try mmp purple sabot and a 50 cal bullet,one that's shoots fine for me is speer 50 cal,325 grain hollowpoint.I have never recovered one,so I cant say about the expansion,but I have taken several deer with this bullet and its deadly.
sorry been out of the loop for a while didn't notice your reply but i actually am in the process of converting my super 91 .504 to a super safari i fitted and glass bed the stock had to fit the sling swivel and had to buy a nose cap off doc and i sent the stock to be dipped in mossy oak bottom land and i had all the s.s. metal parts black iced i should have it back together this week so i can get back to testing the sabots. thanks for the tip !