Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Buckhorn Magnum >

CVA Buckhorn Magnum

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Buckhorn Magnum

Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default CVA Buckhorn Magnum

I just picked up a CVA Buckhorn Magnum for a good price (150.00) with a scope on it. I wanted to switch it over from Pryodex to Blackhorn 209. Was wondering if CVA or anybody made a different breech plug for it to convert over ? The plug in it now is a 209 primer plug but has a slit in to remove it. Know that Blackhorn recommends that the 209 primers be fully enclosed.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure your model is listed in this link below. But there are a couple posters here that modify breechplugs for shooting Blackhorn. So check back here the next couple of days.

http://muzzle-loaders.com/accessorie...reech-plug.php

Have fun with your rifle. In reading about it, the front sight is fragile and blowback will affect your scope. So you may want see-thru rings or detachable on it.

The good news is it's got a Bergara barrel, good trigger and recoil pad. Plus it has a thumb safety and solid stock. Not bad for an inexpensive rifle.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-31-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I am sorry, I said it was a Buckhorn, its a Staghorn Magnum, Ill check the website you suggested.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

The Staghorn is a hammer striker model and not recommended to shoot BlackHorn 209. The problem is the primers can blow back into the face of the shooter. I can personally attest to this with a Black Diamond and dug the center of the primer out of my forehead. Not a pleasant thing to do.

Instead, just load 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a good sabot combination, swab between shots, and clean it the same day you shoot it. Don't worry about having the new whiz bang powder. If you'd wanted that you should have invested in newer technology.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
I am sorry, I said it was a Buckhorn, its a Staghorn Magnum, Ill check the website you suggested.
The Staghorn is an entry-level ($99) that was discontinued 10 years ago. Unless you got a mid-level scope included (valued at $100), you overpaid.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The Staghorn is a hammer striker model and not recommended to shoot BlackHorn 209. The problem is the primers can blow back into the face of the shooter. I can personally attest to this with a Black Diamond and dug the center of the primer out of my forehead. Not a pleasant thing to do.

Instead, just load 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a good sabot combination, swab between shots, and clean it the same day you shoot it. Don't worry about having the new whiz bang powder. If you'd wanted that you should have invested in newer technology.
+1

I have a similar model CVA and would not recommend using BH 209 in it either. In theory it is possible, but due to the design of the rifle it is potentially dangerous.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
The Staghorn is an entry-level ($99) that was discontinued 10 years ago. Unless you got a mid-level scope included (valued at $100), you overpaid.
Well then I just robbed this gun because its got a 350.00 Leopold on it. Was what I figured on about the breech plug on it. Just thought I would ask. Being it is designed for Magnum charges (150 grns of pellets) I would work a load around 110-120 grains pushing a 300 grain bullet/sabot or power-belts. been shooting for close to 20 years with muzzleloaders ,Am sure I can get a good load for it worked up to make it a 150 yard rifle .Thank you answering my question.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will find many good projectiles and 3-4 different powders that will work well in your Ml.

That Leopold mounted on-top makes your purchase a great buy.