Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzleloader

Old 12-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well you guys may be spot on with the 85 gr load. I just checked my pics from shooting BH209 out of my CVA V2 and I was getting very nice groups with 90 gr. and 300 gr Shockwaves.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
I would not get the one from western powders, it comes with an o-ring to put under the primer. I think I remember hearing they wear out after about 16 shots.
Here is the CVA BH 209 breech plug for about $5.00 less than you can buy it at CVA. http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=80873 you don't need a rubber o-ring.......
d.winsor

From what you wrote, i appears you don't understand the purpose of the o-ring. Western Powders furnishes the o-ring as a freebie. It is an option to help the shooter.. it is not required, it is an option. The same o-ring can be used in the CVA breech plug. What the o-ring does is seal the nose of the primer where it sits in the breech plug. This seal normally stops all blow by from getting around the primer.

A while ago, you wrote about, how to make this seal by shimming out the firing pin bushing so that the primer was 'slightly crushed'. Crushing the primer slightly, also makes for a seal against blow by. After you posted how to 'crush' the primer to stop blow by, you retracted your postings, because you were afraid it was unsafe. Actually, a slight crush of the primer is 'safe', but that is a different topic, best discussed in another thread.

Using the o-ring under the primer in either the Western Powders plug, or the CVA plug can stop blow by. The use of the o-ring in the primer seat isn't required. Using the o-ring in either breech plug, is just one way to stop blow by around the primer. The nice thing about using the o-ring, is it can stop blow by without crushing the primer.

One can purchase the o-ring from McMaster-Carr. The o-ring is so inexpensive, i toss them when i clean my rifle after every shooting session, even if i only shoot it once, or twice.

Another possibility, if one wishes to shoot Blackhorn in a CVA rifle, is to modify the standard QRBP. About this, i can furnish more information via PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Spike

My 15 year old daughter has a cva wolf. We have her gun dialed in with 70 grains in volume of black horn with a 250 grain hornady sst. Super accurate with that load. It did some great work on her buck in October with a pass through.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I know exactly what I wrote, there was no misunderstanding. When I first started adjusting for primer crush (Info from a forum) I experienced a few things, after I heard there was an accidental firing due to crushing a primer my recommendations changed to adjust the firing pin bushing according to CVA's recommendations (Which specifically forbids crushing the primer) That is Flush with the breech face. If that would crush the primer a minute amount so be it. I do not recommend anyone to crush a primer. The O-ring is just one more way to crush a primer. I don't know how you got on this subject because all I said was I heard the O-ring will wear out in about 15 shots. I was not afraid crushing a primer was unsafe, I new that crushing a primer was unsafe, unless you discount a muzzleloader accidently firing from crushing a primer. Any other questions or remarks take it up with CVA they are probably more informed than me.

By the way just to be clear, I never mentioned anything about blow by or crushing a primer. You must be on your own trip.

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be surprised if a 1-28 50cal would stabilize a 40cal 200gr Bloodline with light loads. 50x40 sabot choices are not very promising either if you have a tight bore.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I would be surprised if a 1-28 50cal would stabilize a 40cal 200gr Bloodline with light loads. 50x40 sabot choices are not very promising either if you have a tight bore.
Your probably right!! The 185grn Bloodline is a better choice.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
I would not get the one from western powders, it comes with an o-ring to put under the primer. I think I remember hearing they wear out after about 16 shots......
The o-ring is just included as a helpful option, and if used, will reduce blow by. It isn't necessary to use the o-ring. The inclusion of the o-ring, with the breech plug, is like a bonus, and shouldn't be considered a detriment.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
What is your definition of a light load?..... and with what powder?
Is your statement specific-to the Bloodline bullet only?

I think you may have opened a can of worms here. The reason I'm curious centers around my decision to shoot 50/40s (only) at the range in the spring of 2015.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Your probably right!! The 185grn Bloodline is a better choice.
I believe the 185gr would be just fine also. They seemed to be a bit more forgiving for me with a wider variety of charges. The 200gr seemed to prefer max or near max loads for best accuracy.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
What is your definition of a light load?..... and with what powder?
Is your statement specific-to the Bloodline bullet only?

I think you may have opened a can of worms here. The reason I'm curious centers around my decision to shoot 50/40s (only) at the range in the spring of 2015.
Its not so much the weight as it is the length of the bullet. The 200gr Bloodline is longer than a Barnes 195gr or the 200gr SST.

Now if you had a 1-20 or even a 1-24 twist, you could probably be just fine with loads under 100gr of T7 or BH209. I have not tested this in my Savage 1-24 but in a 1-20 45 it appears to be the case.

I really doubt a 1-28 would be enough for a 200gr Bloodline without using full power loads of 100gr or more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.