Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Doe down with bullet report >

Doe down with bullet report

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Doe down with bullet report

Old 12-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice doe, congrats!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on the nice doe.
Good trailing to. I use the same bullet for years with a slightly heavier load, I have noticed that a slightly lower hit which tears up the major arteries right at the top of the heart gives a much better blood trail most of the time there are few certainties in hunting and the trailing is part of the whole.
I have switched to the Bonded Shock Wave for hunting it works much the same except it does not shed its jacket when making the exit hole ,I do not say its any better just that with my load 120 grains of Blackhorn I like it better.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all for the congratulations. I have only ever recovered one other Shockwave and it mushroomed perfectly. I would have thought this result may have been more typical if the shot contacted heavy bone. I did use a bowhunting shot rather then a breakdown shot. Damage was great, but I litterally had to search with my finger to find the entrance and exit holes in the hide.
Either way, the backstraps and heart were delicious.
Happy New Year!!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

never got good blood trails with shockwaves they killed deer but very difficult to find blood even with total pass thru I changed to hornaday xtp never had a deer go over 50 yards and plenty of blood and accuracy was still 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds