Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Inline CVA, Traditions >

Inline CVA, Traditions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline CVA, Traditions

Old 12-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Question Inline CVA, Traditions

MY blackpowder season, wherein the deer took me back to school, made it clear that it may be time to consider a scope.

If that's the case, it may be time for an inline again.

CVA is on the short list as their newest line up seems pretty great, and I think bang for the buck may be the best.

However, I am curious about Traditions offerings,e.g; the Vortek or Pursuit if anybody is shooting one currently?

Heading out to a Cabela's today to handle a few.

Edit:

Shouldered quite a few.

The CVA MR just feels great in hand, light and well balanced, scope changes things a bit.
The thumbhole Accura also shouldered easily.
Trigger action on both was much,much smoother than the one I had a dozen years ago, though it is adjustable.

Traditions was really quite a surprise-well balanced and light, with a beautiful Nikon scope; biggest difference was the striker fire system which I know little to nothing about. The rifle shouldered easily and the trigger was just so smooth.

The easily removable breech plugs on both were a thing of beauty though the Traditions only needed a few turns to remove while the CVA seems to have more threads.

I did not check out any of the T/Cs so as not to cloud the issue any further.

So,of course,more to ponder.

If the Traditions shoots well and is of similar quality to the CVA, it may be the way to go.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just about all the major ML store dealers like Cabelas are very low in stock. Now is the worst time to shop MLs.

If it weren't for Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's and Gander Mountain all out-of-stock on the T/C Impact, I never would have investigated Knightrifles.com and purchased their break-action Knight Vision on sale for $199 until Christmas Day.

I want to thank poster Dutch over at ...Deleted by CalHunter... for notifying me about the sale.
Good luck finding your new ML at Cabelas. Even their warehouse is out-of-stock on most value-priced inlines today.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-28-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Rule 10--Link to competitor
Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Just about all the major ML store dealers like Cabelas are very low in stock. Now is the worst time to shop MLs.

If it weren't for Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's and Gander Mountain all out-of-stock on the T/C Impact, I never would have investigated Knightrifles.com and purchased their break-action Knight Vision on sale for $199 until Christmas Day.

I want to thank poster Dutch over at ...Deleted by CalHunter... for notifying me about the sale.
Good luck finding your new ML at Cabelas. Even their warehouse is out-of-stock on most value-priced inlines today.
You must not have looked very thoroughly. 3 Dick's stores around me all have the Impact in stock. Also, Cabela's is having a huge sale on muzzleloaders right now, including the Impact.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 CVA's and like them a lot. One plus if you get a CVA over Traditions is CVA's are more widespread/common, so it should be easier to find parts/accessories for them.

Traditions used to be very cheaply made rifles, but in recent years the quality has improved a lot. My hunting buddy has an older Traditions inline that is ugly as sin and clunky, but very accurate. I don't have any experience with the newer Traditions, though.

I would have no problems getting another CVA, but would prefer to spend a little more for a TC or Knight. My buddy has the TC Impact, and I really like that rifle- well built, simple and very accurate.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ram2
You must not have looked very thoroughly. 3 Dick's stores around me all have the Impact in stock. Also, Cabela's is having a huge sale on muzzleloaders right now, including the Impact.
I didn't look inside any Cabelas store. I'm not driving 80 miles one way unless I know they have something in stock. Cabelas.com listed it as out-of-stock on December 21st. Even the factory rep over the phone stated they were out-of-stock at Dundee and Saginaw locations . Gander Mountain Utica was out of stock when I visited there, as was Dick's Roseville and Dick's Troy.

Dick's website doesn't even list the T/C Impact. Gander's website was either restrictive or faulty for ordering ML guns last week and earlier this week. Being it was the first time I visited Gander's website and saw it restrictive or faulty, I assumed they didn't sell muzzleloaders online. Every time I clicked on Blackpowder guns there, I was shown a webpage with four MLs that I couldn't click on for more information or ordering.

So if there's nothing to click on, wouldn't you assume they don't sell MLs online? So I got a sales tech to tell me two Cabelas were out of stock - as did their website. O visited two Dick's who were out of stock and nothing named T/C Impact listed in their search box on their website. So I visited Gander Mountain in Utica and then went online there....... No luck!

That's when I found Knightrifles.com and struck Gold there. So for me, perhaps it wasn't meant for me to own another T/C. Maybe I was destined to own a Knight Rifle instead.

Happy New Year BTW......

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-26-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

My x-traditions pursuit xlt shot well but did not hold up very well. The receiver material is too soft and the primer will dent it causing even more blowback than they already have. My old traditions BuckHunter is made much better than the new ones. CVA's have a steel bushing to prevent that, except the Apex, its all stainless steel.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Michigan may be a little different than many of the other states, especially when it comes to muzzleloaders, propellants and bullets. With almost 25% of all hunters using muzzleloaders as their primary firearm for whitetail, it sometimes is hard to find rifles and components. Many shooters are starting right now, to look for BH for next year's season.

One guy in MI had a problem with his Traditions rifle, which after a year, rusted pretty bad in the barrel. Traditions was less than helpful, but did offer to sell him a new rifle at cost. I scoped his barrel for him and after he seen what the scope showed, he cut the barrel in half and told me his next rifle will be a T/C.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-28-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

BarnesAddict

Not knowing the specifics, Traditions obviously felt they weren't at fault for the rusted barrel. So the complaint filed to them must have occurred after use of the rifle.

I sure would like to know the specifics of that incident. I wonder if Bore Butter played a part in the rust formation. So many ML owners improperly season their bores with bore-butter. So many ML owners don't know the difference between rust preventing and rust inhibiting.

In getting back-on-topic, it now seems only parts of the country had rifle shortages with Cabelas. Wondering how successful the thread-starter here was in his search for a new ML.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-27-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

BarnesAddict

Not knowing the specifics, Traditions obviously felt they weren't at fault for the rusted barrel. So the complaint filed to them must have occurred after use of the rifle.

I sure would like to know the specifics of that incident. I wonder if Bore Butter played a part in the rust formation. So many ML owners improperly season their bores with bore-butter. So many ML owners don't know the difference between rust preventing and rust inhibiting............
Owner shot BH209 one season. Completely cleaned the rifle at the end of the season. Used Birchwood Casey Gun oil with a saturated patch inside the barrel for storage. Used the patch on all outside metal surfaces. Lives in a log home. Uses ONLY wood heat, very dry inside home. Stored rifle under his bed, as he doesn't own a safe. Its condition looked as though he left it in a blind all winter and summer. Can't say I've seen a rifle in that bad shape.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its condition looked as though he left it in a blind all winter and summer. Can't say I've seen a rifle in that bad shape.
The guy neglected his gun, simple as that.

Properly cared for guns do not rust regardless of make: Neglected guns rust. There's been a CVA StagHorn muzzleloader under my bed for at least the past four years. Right beside it is an SKS. Checked both guns recently, no sign of rust: Simply put them back under the bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.