Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tomorrow it begins >

Tomorrow it begins

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tomorrow it begins

Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's weird. Same thing is going on in my area. Our sightings are way down. Hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings for the last two weeks and haven't seen a deer. We had four guys in the woods Saturday. No one saw a deer.
Van, it almost sounds like you are hunting on state game lands here in PA. I'm going to try to get out this Wednesday and Saturday on another parcel of state game lands to see if my luck changes.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I am beginning to think this is an effort in futility. Stand hunted the first day then stand hunted and pushed Saturday and today. Didn't see hide nor hair of a deer! All our honey holes are barren. It's like they went underground. I enjoy this late flintlock season but a couple more days of this and I think I will hang it up for the year. Reason is I don't need the meat and with the population down like this in this area, I'd rather have tag soup than shoot a doe.
Now I may just pack up and head to the camp after New Year's day and possibly bust one up there.Will keep you all posted.
Bronko...

Save your gas $$ bud... it's no better up here. I hunted Sat. morning and afternoon. Saw nothing in the AM, saw two in the afternoon but Mama saw me before I saw her and well...you know how that goes. Hunted again this morning from my stand in the brush lot near the house. It's usually a good stand by late season (I've killed four deer from that stand since I put it up 3 years ago) because the deer start honing in on the standing corn the neighbor leaves through the winter and they pass through there to get to it...not this year. Last year the deer hit that corn like rats, this year we see an occasional deer go in or out of that field. I would blame it on a bumper crop of acorns if that were the case locally, but the crop here in the woods I hunt was scant at best. There are some good hayfields around my place, but I'm not seeing deer come out on them like I normally would with the mild weather and no snow like it has been.

I passed on every doe I saw during the firearms season because I'd rather take one with a bow or flintlock than a center fire rifle but now that I'm gettin' hungry for venison it seems as though they've disappeared. I saw a total of 11 deer on the opener of regular firearms season this year. Not long ago, I would have saw that many during the first few hours. I never heard a shot fired throughout the valley I live in on opening day until after 8:00 am, and that's really unusual considering that the management unit I live in is either sex and I'm only 2/10 mi. from NY and their season was still open. I'm praying for colder weather at this point so I can go ice fishing... maybe I can at least catch some fish.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-29-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Bronko...

Save your gas $$ bud... it's no better up here. I hunted Sat. morning and afternoon. Saw nothing in the AM, saw two in the afternoon
BPS
Thanks for the input BPS but the gas is cheaper now and going to the camp beats the heck out of staying at home and doing chores around the house.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

and going to the camp beats the heck out of staying at home and doing chores around the house
Old 12-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input BPS but the gas is cheaper now and going to the camp beats the heck out of staying at home and doing chores around the house.
Ya got a point Bud.... what county is your camp in?

BPS
Old 12-31-2014, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Clinton Co., midway between Hyner Run State park and Rt 44 on the right branch of Hyner Run
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clinton Co., midway between Hyner Run State park and Rt 44 on the right branch of Hyner Run
Wooo-hoo!!!

That's some mighty big woods to hunt in there bronko!! Betcha those are some steep slopes as well. I hope ya got one leg a foot shorter than the other when it comes time to push those mountain sides!!

BPS
Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

they are BPS. And going up them isn't as bad as coming down. I will never forget one year when I was a lot younger I got one of those vinyl covered "thermo seats" - you know the ones filled with tiny styrofoam balls to keep your butt warm when sitting?
I was coming down one of the mtns. after 3" of fresh snow fell. About 1/3 the way down I slipped and landed on this cushion that was attached to my belt. The farther I slid on that thing the faster I went. After about 50 yards and going about mach 3, the cushion detatched from my belt but my momentum carried me another 25 yards. Looking back up the mtn I saw the tattered cushion and styrofoam balls rolling past me. I was fortunate not to have collided with a tree and all that I hurt was my pride.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are BPS. And going up them isn't as bad as coming down. I will never forget one year when I was a lot younger I got one of those vinyl covered "thermo seats" - you know the ones filled with tiny styrofoam balls to keep your butt warm when sitting?
I was coming down one of the mtns. after 3" of fresh snow fell. About 1/3 the way down I slipped and landed on this cushion that was attached to my belt. The farther I slid on that thing the faster I went. After about 50 yards and going about mach 3, the cushion detatched from my belt but my momentum carried me another 25 yards. Looking back up the mtn I saw the tattered cushion and styrofoam balls rolling past me. I was fortunate not to have collided with a tree and all that I hurt was my pride.
Dang it Pilgrim!!!

I'd trade a Hawken rifle just to see that on video!!...

BPS
Old 01-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK I surrender. I'm calling it quits and say the deer won. (whatever deer are around). I'm heading to FL and not coming back until the spring thaw. But this year I'm taking my .58 and hope to go on a hog hunt. I'm also going to take my Win 94 in 32 Spl. But the .58 is going to get the first crack. When and if I do get out I will post some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.