Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tomorrow it begins >

Tomorrow it begins

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tomorrow it begins

Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Today it began, when will it end?

Good luck and let us know the results.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

The most wonderful time of the year!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Today it began, when will it end?Good luck and let us know the results.
Josmund...

Our Flintlock season ends Jan. 10th this year. We usually get about 2-1/2 weeks. It usually depends on when the day after Christmas falls as to whether we gain a few extra days or not.

Bronko...

I was thinkin' about you today bud, wondered if you got out or not. I didn't because I took advantage of the warm weather to get a few other things done. After pondering which flinter I want to start the season with, I settled on my old tried and true, plain Jane .50 Renegade that has "made meat" for me many times in the past. I checked my load data first and put a target out at fifty yards. Here's the results...

The load was 80gr FFg under a bore button and 370gr Maxi-ball. I held at 6:00 aiming at the base of the diamond so the rifle is pretty much sighted point of aim. The shot on the left was my first, the middle the second, and the right my third. I did have just a smidgeon of lag time at the lock on the third shot, but not bad. Yea, I know some may ask why I didn't shoot a 5 shot group, but it's a developed load as far as I'm concerned so all I really wanted to do was check it and like Papa always said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I did swab between shots with a lightly moistened alcohol patch as well as wipe the frizzen face.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-26-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

BPS,cold weather is comming and i hope for a little snow.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yesterday and today nothing except squirrels. Lots of squirrels. Not too many deer shot this year - even during rifle season. No hunters around to push them and get them moving either. I put a push on for my friend this morning in some of the nastiest stuff you'll ever come across. Eight foot high mountain laurel held together by green briar with the occasional open area with oaks. I came out the other side looking like I tangled with a bobcat. Bleeding from everything that wasn't covered. Thank goodness I had on flannel lined pants. There was tons of deer sign in there but I could have walked 10' past a deer and not seen it (which I probably did). There was a rub line in there that the smallest tree was maybe 4" in diameter up to about 7" with deep gouges. I was hoping to push him into my buddy or maybe pick up a shed.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Didn,t see any on Friday but threw a ball at one yesterday morning but didn,t connect.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am beginning to think this is an effort in futility. Stand hunted the first day then stand hunted and pushed Saturday and today. Didn't see hide nor hair of a deer! All our honey holes are barren. It's like they went underground. I enjoy this late flintlock season but a couple more days of this and I think I will hang it up for the year. Reason is I don't need the meat and with the population down like this in this area, I'd rather have tag soup than shoot a doe.
Now I may just pack up and head to the camp after New Year's day and possibly bust one up there.
Will keep you all posted.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's weird. Same thing is going on in my area. Our sightings are way down. Hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings for the last two weeks and haven't seen a deer. We had four guys in the woods Saturday. No one saw a deer.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I spoke to a friend today. His two sons hunted all season around my area. They never saw a deer. Ten years ago, they'd of seen 10 a day. But the cold, wolves, snow and poor herd management really cut the numbers. I asked him if he went and he just laughed and said.. I worked all the over time instead.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

My buddy and I were taking turns doing pushes for each other in the thick brush from an old clear cut. On my second push I though I saw the flash of a tail going out ahead of me. As I got nearer to where I saw it there was a scrape, a rub a bit further and then I saw the fresh tracks in the leaves. I followed them until I heard my buddy whistle. As I stood there and waited for him, I told him that I think I jumped this deer pointing to the tracks. He said yep - I heard it coming through the brush and just caught a glimpse of it as it ran by. Well at least we finally saw one.
But a new situation has arisen which is cause for a new plan. My cousin just left the house after stopping by and showing me his new, and first, flintlock. He took my advice and got himself the Lyman Deerstalker (he didn't want to spend the money on a Great Plains or used T/C). I am going to take him out in the morning and help him get it sighted in. Going to put him on post in the afternoon. Who knows - maybe we could use a bit of beginner's luck to get a deer?!

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-29-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.