Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Using Blackhorn with CVA Hex Head breech plug - problems! >

Using Blackhorn with CVA Hex Head breech plug - problems!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using Blackhorn with CVA Hex Head breech plug - problems!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a hexhead drill bit too with Rons modded plug. The bit is cheap and it fits in a nut driver handle. Its also far easy to turn by hand.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Get a hexhead drill bit too with Rons modded plug. The bit is cheap and it fits in a nut driver handle. Its also far easy to turn by hand.

I've been using a 1/8" bit for both the Knight / Lehigh Plug and the TC Omega plug. I know one is larger but can't remember which?

Can someone remind me? Also, anyone know the flame channel dimension on the White BPs?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
I've been using a 1/8" bit for both the Knight / Lehigh Plug and the TC Omega plug. I know one is larger but can't remember which?

Can someone remind me? Also, anyone know the flame channel dimension on the White BPs?

Thanks
If you have a Lehigh plug you probably need to be using a 5/32" twist drill in it. One of the reason the Lehigh/Knight plug works so well is the flash channel has been opened to allow the plug to breath better.

I am not sure that I even have a 209 plug for a White any longer. I use to use a 209 all the time but have gone back to using #11's several years ago - I think I may have sent my 209 off to other users...

But, I would assume them to be the standard American 1/8"
Old 12-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i can't say this is the only way you can successfully shoot Blackhorn in your rifle, because it is the only modification i have ever tried. Doing this modification has worked perfectly for me, so i never tried anything else. I have read about folks enlarging the flash hole with a # 65 drill, and then using magnum primers.. this supposedly worked. The flash hole grows with every shot, so enlarging it with a drill, isn't something i could do with good conscience.

Keep in mind the modification i do, allows one to replace the vent liner with a new one, when the flash hole gets to be too large. Another benefit of the modification is the diameter of the flame channel is increased to 5/32". The larger the flame channel, the more of the pressure from ignition it can absorb, and this reduces the pressure on the primer. The larger flame channel also allows more shots between cleaning. Another good thing about this modification is it allows one to use any shotgun primer. Any shotgun primer that is available for purchase locally will work. One doesn't need to search for magnum primers, or any specific brand, if they aren't readily available.

To clean the modified breech plug i remove the vent liner, then from the primer end, spin a 5/32" drill in a drill motor through the carbon build in the flame channel. Quick and easy it is. The wall of the flame channel, guides the drill, so it doesn't damage the threads. Then a soaking in a solvent loosens the soot left on the plug, so it can be easily removed.

Blackhorn is the only powder i have used ever since it was available for purchase, so i cannot say with first hand experience, the modified plug will allow you to shoot other powders. However, i have read that the modification allows one to shoot all other powders, including pellets.. True or no, i cannot say.
Alright, thanks for the info. I think I will most likely send my plugs to you to perform this mod. Guess we'll just use our normal 777 load for this muzzy season a few weeks from now then I'll send them out to you after that. I'll send you a PM to get your address.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Spike

Default Cva hex

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i can't say this is the only way you can successfully shoot Blackhorn in your rifle, because it is the only modification i have ever tried. Doing this modification has worked perfectly for me, so i never tried anything else. I have read about folks enlarging the flash hole with a # 65 drill, and then using magnum primers.. this supposedly worked. The flash hole grows with every shot, so enlarging it with a drill, isn't something i could do with good conscience.

Keep in mind the modification i do, allows one to replace the vent liner with a new one, when the flash hole gets to be too large. Another benefit of the modification is the diameter of the flame channel is increased to 5/32". The larger the flame channel, the more of the pressure from ignition it can absorb, and this reduces the pressure on the primer. The larger flame channel also allows more shots between cleaning. Another good thing about this modification is it allows one to use any shotgun primer. Any shotgun primer that is available for purchase locally will work. One doesn't need to search for magnum primers, or any specific brand, if they aren't readily available.

To clean the modified breech plug i remove the vent liner, then from the primer end, spin a 5/32" drill in a drill motor through the carbon build in the flame channel. Quick and easy it is. The wall of the flame channel, guides the drill, so it doesn't damage the threads. Then a soaking in a solvent loosens the soot left on the plug, so it can be easily removed.

Blackhorn is the only powder i have used ever since it was available for purchase, so i cannot say with first hand experience, the modified plug will allow you to shoot other powders. However, i have read that the modification allows one to shoot all other powders, including pellets.. True or no, i cannot say.
do you modify cva hex to shoot loose powder?? How do i contact you?

Last edited by Jf1911; 12-18-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: ?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Jf1911, Try a Private Message or an email both of which ron will accept.

JW

Last edited by JW; 12-19-2018 at 06:34 AM.