HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Broken stock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/396454-broken-stock.html)

zeek99 12-16-2014 07:22 PM

Broken stock

My brother-inlaw has an old muzzleloader that belonged to his grandfather with a stock that is broken in two pieces at the wrist. It has rust all over that is possibly not to bad and can be fixed. There are no markings on the gun that I can see. It looks like a Hawken or Vincent rifle but has about a 30" barrel in mabey 45 cal.
Any suggestions on fixing the stock that will hold up?
This gun could be from the mid to late 1800's

cayugad 12-16-2014 07:54 PM

you could have one custom made for it, but it would be expensive and I don't see spending that on a rusted barrel. Or if you have skills, get a chunk of wood and see if you can shape your own. Early pioneers used to make their own. Thank goodness that was not me or I would have been shooting a 2x4 rifle.

nchawkeye 12-16-2014 08:52 PM

Hard to give good advice without good pics...

A lot of folks have an "old" muzzleloader that is from the 1950s...This would be treated much differently than a gun made in the 1850s...

The stock is where the maker "makes his mark" or uses his artistic ability and many can identify rifle makers by the stock alone...The barrels, locks and other furniture are actually less significant in valuing a gun vs the stock...

So, if it is indeed an original the less done to the stock the better...If it was made in the 1950s and sold as an original your best bet might be to restock it if the barrel is worth seeing additional service...

Oldtimr 12-17-2014 05:11 AM

If you google "hoe to fix a broken gunstok broken at the wrist", there are several articles on the subject. Here is one link tat shows how they do it. http://www.gun-tests.com/special_rep...ort4897-1.html

zeek99 12-17-2014 11:21 AM

That is a good link. It is pretty similar to what I had in mind of trying. I will give it a try; can't be any worse than it is now.

Mastevt 12-17-2014 05:07 PM

I know a guy in MI that repairs gun stocks on the side. you would have pull the barrel, and lock to ship it. He does really nice work. He is off on medical right now from shoulder surgery, so I know he has time to work on it. If your interested, I can give you his number. I wouldn't build a new stock. It would devalue the gun. Better to have the original. Like I said, Jeff does good work, and he's reasonably priced.

Blackpowdersmoke 12-17-2014 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mastevt (Post 4175904)
I know a guy in MI that repairs gun stocks on the side. you would have pull the barrel, and lock to ship it. He does really nice work. He is off on medical right now from shoulder surgery, so I know he has time to work on it. If your interested, I can give you his number. I wouldn't build a new stock. It would devalue the gun. Better to have the original. Like I said, Jeff does good work, and he's reasonably priced.

I agree...

I would not have a new stock made, especially seeing as how it's a wall hanger for the most part. If it can be repaired and made to look as though it's not broken (only you will know it's been repaired if done by an expert), I would leave it at that. Hang it up and admire it for what it is, a piece of history. Go out and buy a reproduction rifle or have a custom builder build you a replica of that very rifle if you want, but don't try and shoot the original.

BPS

Triple Se7en 12-18-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mastevt (Post 4175904)

PM sent to Mastevt