Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who gets it?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually you are wrong, attitudes have nothing to do with who gets the deer in the state you live in. The law makes the legal determination and that is the person who stopped the deer. Whether or not the person who stopped the deer wants to relinquish it to the person who wounded it has nothing to do with who is legally entitled to the deer.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Years ago while hunting in Bradford county during our doe season back then. I heard a shot and a few minutes later this doe came trotting by. I could tell from the way it was shot that it was wounded. So as it passed me by I finished it off. About 10 minutes later I saw a father and son coming towards me tracking the deer. I asked if one of them shot a deer and the kid said yes and that he shot it right behind the shoulder. Well he actually shot it in the gut. So I told him well your deer is right there, I just finished it off for you. You had to see the smile on that kids face. The dad just winked at me and said thanks!!

Seeing that smile on that kids smile was priceless.
This happened to me this year opening day. I gutted it before they got there and they gave me the backstraps and heart for my trouble(was no trouble though)
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

The one that always bothered me... it was very early morning. Just that early light in woods... so it was not all that light. I saw a buck coming through the thicket. I pulled up my 30-06 and the scope was fogged. Why it fogged, I was not sure. Maybe my excitement my breath fogged it. Wiped it off with my thumb as the buck was moving. Got the deer who was fast walking, in the crosshairs and fired. Down it went. A minute later it jumped back up and took off. So I waited. I figured it would lay back down and die. Finally went after it. Went over a couple hills. Excellent blood trail. Only to find a gut pile and drag marks to a road. Some hunter entering the woods must have watched it drop. He never fired a shot. And where it dropped... I doubt it would have been seen. But he found it, gutted it, and took it. Was I mad? Ya a little. it was a nice buck. And I did everything right to make right, the deer wounded, lay down, and to recover it. But those are the breaks. Shot a different buck that afternoon. I was glad it never became coyote bait.

One other time I was in my stand and saw a buck moving about 200 yards out, in the edge of the hardwoods. And I am sure you all know the walk, but something was not right about how the deer was walking. Plus I had heard two shots earlier. I pulled up with my 7mm mag and fired, dropping the buck. I no sooner started walking towards it when I heard yelling.. that's our buck.. we're tracking it... we're coming.. is it down? So I waited. In come two people I knew. The older man said.. I shot that buck running through the hard woods. I saw it was shot through the guts on the off side. And then my shoulder shot. So I smiled and said.. congratulations!! And walked off.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

I read about this.

Despite the law, I personally like the coin flip idea; to me, it seems more than generous on the landowner's part.

While it may have been nice to give the deer to the boy, I feel it would have set him up to expect that same treatment in the future. This way, he learned how hunting really works,i.e; it's not a game and that there are morals,ethics and legalities involved.

Frankly, I think he got a lesson far more valuable than his first buck. Of course, it will take years for the boy to understand this...

I would have split the deer 50/50.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

How are you gonna do that? Only one person uses their tag, the other gets half the meat and gets to continue to hunt for another deer. No equality there, just a feel good idea until the one who burned their tag figures out the other guy got the best of him. Just follow the law and you will always be right, that is why the law is in place, it tells you the right thing to do.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You couldn't split it in Colorado. You can give away 20 lbs of meat to another hunter, and they can continue to hunt.

Not sure about other states.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

i would have given the kid the deer. i did just that several years ago, helped the young man take the deer out.

In 60+ years of deer hunting i have the antlers and skull caps from several buck deer i have killed. They all score over 170 B&C points. i can't eat the darn things and they have lain around cluttering up the place for decades. Gave two sets to my son this fall.

Yep, hunters have killed other hunters over deer antlers.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You couldn't split it in Colorado. You can give away 20 lbs of meat to another hunter, and they can continue to hunt.

What happens if you shoot one like I got a couple weeks ago that had about 15lbs of meat?

Falcon, I agree. Sad but true....some folks do crazy stuff over a deer.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How are you gonna do that? Only one person uses their tag, the other gets half the meat and gets to continue to hunt for another deer. No equality there, just a feel good idea until the one who burned their tag figures out the other guy got the best of him. Just follow the law and you will always be right, that is why the law is in place, it tells you the right thing to do.
What is it with you?

There's your way and the wrong way?
Noted.

/Begin Muley content/

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

My buddies and I have split deer many times. Give and receive.

/End Muley content/

Nobody feels cheated.
It's called sharing.
In the years when I was making 100+ lbs of sausage, I made gifts of that too.
Landowners always get something.

It's venison, not gold bullion.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-11-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive

My buddies and I have split deer many times. Give and receive.

Nobody feels cheated.
It's called sharing.
In the years when I was making 100+ lbs of sausage, I made gifts of that too.
Landowners always get something.

It's venison, not gold bullion.
Amen to that. I give meat away all the time. In fact, I wish I had more folks that wanted some right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.