Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barnes Performance (Graphic) >

Barnes Performance (Graphic)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes Performance (Graphic)

Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Barnes Performance (Graphic)

I only got to hunt the first three days of our gun season here and it was a rough one. I ended up getting one right before I left on the third day. So I figured I would share some real world performance results from the Barnes bullet on a deer.

Load:
Barnes 250 grain TEZ
110 grains BH209
W209 Primer

Shot was at 50 yards in the neck on a broadside deer.

Entry

Exit (Yes that is the blue tip from the bullet)

Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

That one never took a step! Congratulations on harvesting a deer. Barnes did a good job.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Nice! Apparently you prefer not to track!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good! Them neck shots are most of the time DRT. Funny the blue tip stuck in there.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

It was dead instantly. I was sitting at the top of a ridge that drops down into a ravine. It came from the top of the ridge and was on a steady pace to get down into the ravine and I shot it just before it went into it. When I fired I saw it rolling through my scope and I went to the top of the ravine and he was laying at the bottom of it.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

THAT is why Barnes is my favorite bullet. It'll do the same thing at 200yds and not fail.

Congrats.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Just goes to show you how much DAMAGE big ol, slow moving, milk buckets can do! I've been a Barnes disciple for over 2 decades and even when I was shooting 30cal 130grn X-bullets at nearly 4k fps in my Lazz Warbird, I never did anykind of damage like that! (But I have found shoulder & rib frags in the rear quarters from a broadside, shoulder hit!) I've had 300grn Barnes mloaders in my Savage smokeless for over a decade now and they just perform miracles!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Nice!!!

I thought you were using PRB's this year.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally like Barnes so don't get this question the wrong way. But why do some of you like the Barnes TEZ over the Barnes MZ-Expander? I have had amazing accuracy with the MZ-Expander. So other then the tip, what's the advantage to of the TEZ? I think I shot them once in .45 caliber.

The tighest three shot group I ever pulled off was with two Pyrodex RS pellets and the 250 grain MZ-expander. I did swab between shots. Do they also perform as well as the TEZ on game? I have hunted with the MZ but the deer never gave me a chance to "do field research" you might say.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TEZ in 250g is becoming one of my favorite bullets. They are extremely accurate and perform great (as you clearly demonstrated)

To answer your question cayugad, I haven't really seen a big difference in performance on game between the Expander and the TEZ. I do give the slight edge on accuracy to the TEZ though. I turned one of my buddies onto the Expanders a couple years ago and he swears he'll never use any other bullet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.