Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why do you hunt?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Why do I hunt... well I guess the easy answer is, I grew up hunting and it always seemed like the thing to do. It put fresh mean on the table and was a change from beef and pork. I do like to hunt but admit, if there is no game in the area, I will not mind sleeping in either.

Why I hunt with a muzzle loader is kind of strange. I hunted with center fire rifles for many years. I shot and practiced with them just as I do with muzzleloaders. And where I used to hunt with friends, there were lots of deer. And then deer hunting lost some of its charm for me. I went to my stand and usually with in two hours, a deer came into range and my hunting was over.

Then I met a person who later began a best friend. He hunted with muzzleloaders. And got me shooting them. And the bug hit, I purchased my first rifle. I hunted deer that year and it was really fun to have to work close to the animals. As my effective range with the open sights was about 75 yards. But I still hunted hard and got my deer.

The more I hunted with the muzzleloader the more I enjoyed the challenge. No more 500 yard shots. No more shoot and if you miss the next one was on its way. It made me a better hunter to have a black powder gun. And as my collection grew so did the animals I pursued. Like John mentioned, now with age, and injuries, I find it harder and harder to hunt. And so I decided target shooting was a fine way to enjoy my sport and collection.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nuff said nchawkeye, and said well.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hawkeye it's 2014.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Hawkeye it's 2014.
WHAT!!! When did that happen?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the kids love me, wanna get their attention and teach them a little history???

Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
1) I dislike venison and donate the meat.
2) I hunt with a centerfire during rifle season and Muzzleloader during blackpowder season.
There are several people in my neck of the woods that think like you do. Personally I have no use for that type of mentality. Yes, it's honorable that you donate the meat, but by the same token, you're out there killing deer that another hunter would be happy to take and utilize for him(or her)self. If you don't like venison... don't deer hunt. Leave the deer for those of us that enjoy hunting and enjoy using it as a supplement to our meat staples. My wife and I usually have 6-8 deer tags between us and we kill 2, maybe 3 deer a season because we never take more than we can use over a year's time.

There's nothing wrong with donating meat to organizations that help feed the hungry... but to just go out and shoot deer in the name of "helping the hungry" doesn't garner ANY respect as far as I'm concerned.... it just makes you look like someone that enjoys killing deer to feed your own ego.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's pretty strong BPS. But I see where you're coming from.

My thinking is I have no problem with someone shooting a deer and donating the meat to others so long as that's what's happening - the meat is well cared for and fully harvested.

What ticks me off is those who shoot a deer and pull the backstraps, leaving everything else in the field.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice NCHawkeye!

I hunt because I grew up hunting, and just enjoy the time away from the day to day stresses of life, and the solitude it brings just being out there. I could care less if I kill anything, and in fact that is my least favorite part....though I am fortunate enough to fill the freezer each year. I enjoy the camaraderie and memories most, and especially seeing/helping others get a deer - and especially younger hunters.

I do still hunt with a CF, and a bow...but at this point in my life I prefer the ML most and honestly I'm not totally sure why. I used to find myself bowhunting during rifle season, now I use the ML most.

I started out ML hunting about 25yrs ago because it gave me an addl 2 weeks late season to hunt in VA, and a week in WV. About 20yrs ago, they moved the 2 week ML season in VA early (before rifle) and nixed the late season and just kept rifle open for 2mos straight instead of only 2 weeks. (too many deer in our area). I still love the 1 week late ML season in WV, alot of fun that time of year... and very low pressure.

So now, I guess I just enjoy the tinkering of it I guess, and the thought that I have to make that one shot count. Its a little more of a challenge I guess. I think I'm more addicted to ML's and ML hunting than I was to bowhunting before, and I was heavy into that.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
There are several people in my neck of the woods that think like you do. Personally I have no use for that type of mentality. Yes, it's honorable that you donate the meat, but by the same token, you're out there killing deer that another hunter would be happy to take and utilize for him(or her)self. If you don't like venison... don't deer hunt. Leave the deer for those of us that enjoy hunting and enjoy using it as a supplement to our meat staples. My wife and I usually have 6-8 deer tags between us and we kill 2, maybe 3 deer a season because we never take more than we can use over a year's time.

There's nothing wrong with donating meat to organizations that help feed the hungry... but to just go out and shoot deer in the name of "helping the hungry" doesn't garner ANY respect as far as I'm concerned.... it just makes you look like someone that enjoys killing deer to feed your own ego.

BPS
Please realize, by your logic, there are a lot of people that should quit hunting. Myself included. My family is unable to eat red meat due to health issues. Others I know simply just do not like the taste. Hunters for the hungry in Iowa produce over 1 million meals a year. Think of the impact if those people who "feeds their ego" quit killing deer.

Additionally, there are a larger than you realize portion of hunters who do not eat the meat. Think about if all of those sportsmen stopped buying licenses and hunting gear. That's a huge impact to our sport and way of life.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure you fully vetted out what you're asking people to do.

Last edited by TNHagies; 12-03-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.