Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Headgear Day on the Palouse >

Headgear Day on the Palouse

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Headgear Day on the Palouse

Old 11-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Headgear Day on the Palouse

Well it is really near crunch time… the season opened here in our units on October 10th and it closes December 1. I have not been able to get out as much as I would like but the few times we made it out we saw Whitetails but nothing that I really wanted to shoot. My hunting partner and I both hold out for a nice buck as long as we can.

When we left this morning – I suggested to Larry that today was ‘headgear’ day for myself – in that if it had horns – it was coming down. Really did not have the time to keep waiting for the really good animal…

Side note of interest to some, maybe, this rifle a Knight 45cal. Super DISC a little bit of history to the load that was shot today. I took the rifle to the farm on October 8, I shot five shots to confirm POI. From the farm it came home and I ran a moist Windex patch both sides – dried the barrel. I then ran a barely oiled Montana X-Treme patch in the bore – just for a bit of protection. Then a few hours later after the X-Treme evaporated it was loaded with 120 grains of T7-2f, a MMP light tan sabot, and a Lehigh/Bloodline 40x230 gr. DOA. I continued to violate most of the rules in that the rifle came out of the house, rode in the pickup cab every morning and each evening when we returned. It was then carried back into the house to wait its’ next trip to the woods.

Today the rifle was shot at 7:05 in the morning for the first time since October 8. It was a 60 yard uphill frontal shot. It appears the bullet entered the chest cavity at the base of the neck traveled and exited the length of the body. We were able to find where two of the petals exited and stuck in the hide. I believe the rest of the petals were in the internals. The bullet body was not recovered.

Here are a group of pictures that shows todays activities – and now it is almost time for Turkey Dinner…

Hope you all have a GREAT THANKSGIVING!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job! The plan came together.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Good job! The plan came together.
Thanks! that is exactly what I was thinking after I pulled the trigger and the deer dropped in place - it was all according to the plan

It really makes me feel good all those deer that I let walk... of course if it went the other way - I would have really been ticked!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My friend, that is a fine whitetail and if it were me I would have him mounted. You done well!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. Can't wait to try the Bloodlines.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!! Very nice buck
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Buck!! Congratulations. And nice to know that your rifle can hold that long. Was there any sign of rust in the rifle?

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you ate too much turkey and pumpkin pie. I know I did.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Great Buck!! Congratulations. And nice to know that your rifle can hold that long. Was there any sign of rust in the rifle?
Not a bit of rust or corrosion - It took my same 6 patches to clean it up and put it away for the winter. The breech plug and vent liner were dirty but no signs of any problems. I honestly think bringing in everyday to allow a little bit warm air to pass through the barrel and BP keeps everything in equilibrium and then of course what I do to water proof things when it is in the field. Dave I have been working this for a long time figured out a few tricks or thoughts and I have also experimented with BH without any problems. Real BP or any of the Pyros - do not think I would have the guts for that one...

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you ate too much turkey and pumpkin pie. I know I did.
Just finished the apple pie and ice cream. My niece made one of those really deep apple pies and she over-filled my plate - but I managed to clean up the serving - now I am sitting here in a bit of pain.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent. You have to love it when you have them dead and in sight after the shot.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck! Congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.