Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting in Rain/Snow >

Hunting in Rain/Snow

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting in Rain/Snow

Old 11-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in Rain/Snow

Guys,

I have a new Accura V2 and am don't want to mess it up by hunting in the snow/rain. I hunted in the snow last weekend with it BUT I carried the soft case with me to the tree and didn't take it out as I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. We have rain coming and I don't want to take the case all the time to the tree.

Can I just wrap plastic cling wrap around the muzzle end and then do I have to take the forearm off and wipe it down completely when I am done hunting? It does have a SS barrell.

Thanks,
HOOSIER
Old 11-20-2014, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Wrapping cling wrap, a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle, a muzzle mit, all help in keep moisture out of the barrel and compromising the charge. Also, keep the end of the muzzle down as much as possible.

If you walk in the rain with the rifle, at the end of they day, due to the conditions you were in, I would shoot it off. Then when you get home, take the barrel off, and clean the entire rifle. You will be nice and ready for the next day. And perhaps hope for better weather. Good luck to you.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

They have barrel rubbers to cover it, but i'm too cheap to buy those. I just use Saran Wrap and a rubber band.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Hunter1963
Guys,

I have a new Accura V2 and am don't want to mess it up by hunting in the snow/rain. I hunted in the snow last weekend with it BUT I carried the soft case with me to the tree and didn't take it out as I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. We have rain coming and I don't want to take the case all the time to the tree.
And what was your plan for the shooter that appeared for 10 seconds and vanished? "Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiip, bang!"?

You were right to be unsure of what do to with BP in rain/snow but just keeping the muzzle slightly down once you got to your stand would have been fine. Not sure how you would have had time to get it out of your case had you seen something you wanted to shoot, not to mention all the movement that would have created.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure you're seen those long/narrow/thin plastic bags many retail stores have on a rack at the door, and which are intended for wet umbrellas. Grab a few of those. One over the gun from the muzzle end and one from the butt end will keep your gun dry when carrying it in a hard rain. And the bags take up very little room in your pocket.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
And what was your plan for the shooter that appeared for 10 seconds and vanished? "Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiip, bang!"?
LOL Well that's a darn good question. I didn't say I kept it zipped. It was totaqlly unzipped and just folded over the gun with my hand on it. The case stayed in my lap and I had really good cover.

This weekend it's supposed to rain but I am taking it with the muzzle covered in Saran and a rubber band and I am hunting. I will take it apart and clean it up when I am done.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm sure you're seen those long/narrow/thin plastic bags many retail stores have on a rack at the door, and which are intended for wet umbrellas. Grab a few of those. One over the gun from the muzzle end and one from the butt end will keep your gun dry when carrying it in a hard rain. And the bags take up very little room in your pocket.
Ah yes Semi - always thinking.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ah yes Semi - always thinking.
As yes, you were also bronko. Something I have come to find that works and I am amazed not more people try is rubber surgical gloves. I use them all the time and you have 5 covers from 1 glove!!! Cut it off at the palm area. stretch and slip over and away ya go!!! My wife is a nurse and we are always finding them in the washer or dryer!!! That and an extra pr in your pocket/backpack is never even noticed as well. That and will aid in keeping your hands clean in the cleaning process afterwards.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not fond of shooting through rubber. I'm not sure if it affects accuracy. I seem to remember someone testing that, and the POI changed.

Saran Wrap is way too thin to affect the POI. I've tested that.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Spike

Whatever you stick on the muzzle is likely long gone by the time the bullet gets there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.