Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rifle Primer--Zero Degrees >

Rifle Primer--Zero Degrees

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rifle Primer--Zero Degrees

Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle Primer--Zero Degrees

Yesterday, into a squeaky clean barrel, the Omega X7 was loaded with 300g Deep Curl, 110g Blackhorn, and crush rib sabot. Then the rifle was carried out to the truck, along with some Federal 215 primers, bullets, sabots, and pre loaded powder vials. It went down to zero here last night. This morning the truck was started, left running to melt frost, and the rifle was wrapped in coats, and put in the back so it would stay cold. The bullets, sabots, powder, and primers were also wrapped to keep them cold. When we arrived where the shooting could commence, it was 3 degrees, and the wind was penetrating.

After walking out to place the target, i sorta lost interest in setting up the portable shooting bench, and stool, what with the cold wind the way it was. Managed to get the truck setting quite level with the drivers door 88 yard from the target. Using a window rest i was able to shoot quite steady with my left hand holding the forearm, rested, and my right elbow on the steering wheel. The window was left open because of the spotting scope, but the heater was running full. Then when shooting, the truck was turned off. Actually the only shot that really mattered was the first, however the plan was to shoot 5, but the target blew off the backer after just 3, so i quit, and came home.

It seems i no longer need to wonder if the rifle primers will ignite the powder during the cold weather of deer season. Ignition was instantaneous, just like it was last summer.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as you don't take a firearm back and forth into greatly differing temperatures where you'll cause condensation to possibly foul your components, that group and what you stated doesn't surprise me.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're a tougher man than I Ron. I love to shoot, but would have passed in those conditions.

Good test though, and good shooting.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
As long as you don't take a firearm back and forth into greatly differing temperatures where you'll cause condensation to possibly foul your components, that group and what you stated doesn't surprise me.
The results didn't surprise me neither, however i was ready to switch to shotgun primers if need be; there is a breech plug all fixed up and ready to use W209 primers.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
...I love to shoot, but would have passed in those conditions...
But, but.. i couldn't pass up the conditions; what i learned, allows me to be completely comfortable using the rifle primers in December, and January, whilst hunting.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
But, but.. i couldn't pass up the conditions; what i learned, allows me to be completely comfortable using the rifle primers in December, and January, whilst hunting.
Yep, confidence in all of your equipment is a real plus when you are out in harsh conditions!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,
I don't doubt at all what your doing wont work but your testing method isn't really going to prove if it does or doesn't. I'll give you a suggestion on how I do it, and im sure there are other and better ways.

1-Load up 25 vials of powder
2-Put 25 primers in a vial or leave them loose your choice.
3-Get 25 of your choice bullet and sabots
4-Get a Ziploc bag and put all the above in the Ziploc bag.
5-The next time you go to were you shoot put that bag with those items in it on a blown down tree or even set beside tree.
6-When you are going to test again if you want to, load the gun the night before and leave the gun outside over night. In the morning put the gun in a soft case in back of your pick up and leave mostly un zipped. Drive to your shooting location and grab that Ziploc bag and shoot a three shot group. Close that bag back up and set it by that tree or wherever you leave it in the woods.
7-Repeat that process until your Ziploc is empty. It could take a couple weeks obviously.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
You're a tougher man than I Ron. I love to shoot, but would have passed in those conditions.

Good test though, and good shooting.
Well, he did shoot from the truck with the heater going.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Ron, do you have a drawing or photo of how you're using the 215's? Just wondering how much flash hole depth you have and size? Of course the OAL of the plug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.