HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Rifle Primer--Zero Degrees (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/395562-rifle-primer-zero-degrees.html)

ronlaughlin 11-12-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4169250)
...your testing method isn't really going to prove if it does or doesn't. ...

True. Yes i agree. What little i did this morning doesn't really prove much.. The rifle primers did work perfectly all/only three times.

ronlaughlin 11-12-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4169256)
Well, he did shoot from the truck with the heater going. :wink:

Yes i did.. seems strange Semi didn't appreciate that fact, but then we all know him..

ronlaughlin 11-12-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4169257)
Ron, do you have a drawing or photo of how you're using the 215's? Just wondering how much flash hole depth you have and size? Of course the OAL of the plug?

The breech plug i am using is the OEM Omega/Encore plug. The flash hole depth is as it was when TC made it. The flash hole was enlarged to 0.034", at which size it will remain for at least 700 shots.

The OAL of the plug hasn't changed from what TC made it.

The diameter of the primer pocket was increased to allow the pictured adapters from PR Bullet to fit.

The depth of the primer pocket was increased to allow the use of a 1.5mm thick metric o-ring to be installed before the adapter, and still allow the action of the Omega to close. The depth of the primer pocket was increased about 0.75 mm, if i recall correctly; perhaps a little more.

BarnesAddict 11-12-2014 02:34 PM

Is the hole in the adaptor, the same size as the flame channel in the plug?

WV Hunter 11-12-2014 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4169246)
But, but.. i couldn't pass up the conditions; what i learned, allows me to be completely comfortable using the rifle primers in December, and January, whilst hunting.

....or November - since it was 0 today - LOL :D

(I can't believe you guys are that cold already...no thanks!)

Muley Hunter 11-12-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4169272)

(I can't believe you guys are that cold already...no thanks!)

Came on kind of sudden. It was 65 degrees and sunny last week. Today it's 5 degrees, and has been snowing straight since 9am. It's hard to adjust that fast.

I still took my dog for hike in the mountains today, but I was an icicle when I got back to the Jeep.

Semisane 11-12-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter: Well, he did shoot from the truck with the heater going.

Posted by ronlaughlin: Yes i did.. seems strange Semi didn't appreciate that fact, but then we all know him..
Heater?? Ya mean y`all actually have HEATERS in your trucks??? I wonder if that's what that funny looking button is on the control next to my AC.

Muley Hunter 11-12-2014 03:43 PM

I'm sure you wear out that AC button in the summer. Summer here is the best time. 70 degrees, and no humidity.

ronlaughlin 11-12-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4169269)
Is the hole in the adaptor, the same size as the flame channel in the plug?

The adapter hole is about 0.082". The flame channel is OEM--0.125"

The new diameter of the primer pocket which allows the adapters is 0.282".

As mentioned before the new diameter of the flash hole is 0.034".

The depth of the primer pocket is kinda tricky, but not really. It has to be deep enough to allow the action of the Omega to close on the adapter plus the o-ring which is 1.5mm thick, but not so deep the primer doesn't fire when struck by the firing pin. What i guessed at the second time is about half the thickness of the o-ring. The first plug i drilled, i drilled too deep, and so didn't get reliable primer ignition when struck by the firing pin.

The 0-ring needs to be hard enough when compressed to hold the primer so it ignites when struck by the firing pin, but loose enough to allow the action to close with reasonable pressure. That seems to be about half the thickness of the o-ring--0.75mm.

The depth of the primer pocket on the plug purchased from PR Bullet is exactly the same as the OEM TC plug. Neither utilizes an o-ring.

BarnesAddict 11-12-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4169296)
The adapter hole is about 0.082". The flame channel is OEM--0.125"

The new diameter of the primer pocket which allows the adapters is 0.282".

As mentioned before the new diameter of the flash hole is 0.034".

The depth of the primer pocket is kinda tricky, but not really. It has to be deep enough to allow the action of the Omega to close on the adapter plus the o-ring which is 1.5mm thick, but not so deep the primer doesn't fire when struck by the firing pin. What i guessed at the second time is about half the thickness of the o-ring. The first plug i drilled, i drilled too deep, and so didn't get reliable primer ignition when struck by the firing pin.

The 0-ring needs to be hard enough when compressed to hold the primer so it ignites when struck by the firing pin, but loose enough to allow the action to close with reasonable pressure. That seems to be about half the thickness of the o-ring--0.75mm.

The depth of the primer pocket on the plug purchased from PR Bullet is exactly the same as the OEM TC plug. Neither utilizes an o-ring.

Don't know if I'm going to word these next questions right, please read between the lines...........

So the plug is drilled to accept the adaptor. The adaptor has a larger flash hole itself, then the charge goes through the breech plug .034" flash hole?

Here's the question...... So is the system akin to having two (2) flash holes? One in the adaptor and another smaller in the breech plug? If so, what length of flash channel is under the adaptor before it reaches the flash hole in the plug?