Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Whats up with these caps? >

Whats up with these caps?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats up with these caps?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Geez, I usually have the opposite problem with caps too loose and have to hit the nipple with a file to put a little burr on it.
Maybe its just that you're not pushing them on hard enough?!
You have a strange problem from the description.
bronko, find some RWS if you can... they are 1075's, should solve your problem.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

should i polish enough off so the charge in the cap is on the nipple face?
Yes. The priming powder in the cap should be against the nipple. I generally cut a strip about 3/8" wide and 10" long from a sheet of 400 grit Emery paper to polish the nipple. Grip one end of the strip between thumb and forefinger of one hand, and the other end of the strip between the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, and polish the nipple the way you would polish the toe of your shoes with a rag.

SOMETHING ELSE TO CHECK: I assume we're talking about a sidelock here. You might want to pull the lock and check to make sure the internal screws are tight, and the moving parts are clean and lightly oiled. Loose screws in there will cause the action to drag, reducing the force of the hammer strike.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-13-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always used RWS 10.75 and I used the hammer to seat the caps. CAREFULLY lower the hammer onto the cap and push gently until it seats. They were on so tight I had to pop them off with a knife.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Don't do like I did once.. purchased some #10 caps at the store instead of #11. Same tin, same color, just a different number. Don't stores know that old men don't always carry their reading glasses? Good thing I have a black powder revolver that uses them caps. Then the other day I was looking through my pile of supplies and found six tins of Musket caps. I have two rifles that shot them. But the price tag on them... $3.99 a tin. They had to be old!!!
Dave last year I bought a box of 200 RWS musket caps and it cost me $20. Man the prices doubled since the last time I bought them. I guess we can thank our fearless leader and congress for the price increases.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Dave last year I bought a box of 200 RWS musket caps and it cost me $20. Man the prices doubled since the last time I bought them. I guess we can thank our fearless leader and congress for the price increases.
Not sure what caused the price increase. According to the little store where I get them, he said the company claims they just don't have them in stock. You'd think if people were calling a business for something I produce, I would bring in an extra shift if I had to, to make up the supply. I sometimes think these companies hold off on supplies to drive the price up, get us used to paying that, and then release their stock pile.

Bullets did the same thing. For the longest time you couldn't get certain muzzleloader bullets. One reason I went back and cast my own. Just a crazy market out there.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Spike

Default Fixed

Thanks guys, i appreciate the interest. what i did was find a nut that fit the threads of the nipple and put it in a drill then i polished it down a little at a time until the charge was resting on the nipple face and keeping the nipple tight enough so i didnt have to worry about it in the woods. the gun is pefect now. i fired several caps with no more issues.Strange problem but im glad it happened now, we work too hard to get a deer in front of us to have a misfire. Good huntin' fellas.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Problem solved, as long as your caps stay consistent. Nipples are cheap enough though.