Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave >

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Old 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

According to a rep at Hornady the red tipped sst and the yellow tipped shockwave are identical. Both sabots are made by MMP and except for the color are also are identical. The blue tipped shockwave has a bonded core and is designed for use on heavy body animals like moose, elk etc. The blue sabot sold with the bonded core bullets is a different design. Personally I prefer Harvester's black crush rib sabot for all 3 bullets.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

According to a rep at Hornady the red tipped sst and the yellow tipped shockwave are identical.
i'm looking at both bullets. Unless the Shockwave has changed very recently, they are not identical. The SST has a soft pliable tip. The Shockwave has a very hard plastic tip.

Last edited by falcon; 11-05-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Spike

I just switched to Hornady SST 300 gr.yellow tip for this year's deer season here in Indiana. For many many years I used the Hornady 300 gr XTP bullet with black Harvester crushed rib sabots. Nothing but good luck with that combo, I guess I just wanted to try something different. My question is, the yellow tip SST bullets come as a combo with the red sabots. Is it possible to by the bullets separately and use some other type of sabots?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bullets only
Old 11-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

Thanks Ron! Any idea about the buying some sabots for that bullet?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the .40 cal 200 grain SST and Shockwaves both. I know they are supposed to be the same bullet, but it seems to me (maybe just my experience) that the Shockwaves do not expand as readily as the SST's, and penetrate better. This is only based on maybe 3 deer killed with the Shockwave and 4 deer with the SST, so not enough for a "scientific" comparison. They both hit to the same point of impact and are equally accurate, though.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sewerdude
Thanks Ron! Any idea about the buying some sabots for that bullet?
Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots are widely available. Cabelas, Grafs, Harvester themselves to name a few. A quick search will yield many results.

P.S. Try the Harvester Smooth Black (for over 300 grain bullets )if you want a tighter fit.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sewerdude
I just switched to Hornady SST 300 gr.yellow tip for this year's deer season here in Indiana. For many many years I used the Hornady 300 gr XTP bullet with black Harvester crushed rib sabots. Nothing but good luck with that combo, I guess I just wanted to try something different. My question is, the yellow tip SST bullets come as a combo with the red sabots. Is it possible to by the bullets separately and use some other type of sabots?
I guess I need to edit my post. The Hornady SST bullet I have are 300 gr RED tip with red sabots, not yellow tip as I stated in my earlier post.... I shot them yesterday, used 100 gr Pryodex pellets. Very accurate, but no better than the 300 gr .452 .45 XP Mags. I just wanted to change things up abit. Look forward to seeing the results come Saturday. (Gun season opener here in Indiana).
I was wondering which Harvester sabots to use. Either the crushed rib or the smooth ones. Im good to go now, but in the future Ill probably try to buy the bullets and sabots separately.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The smooth Harvester will be noticeably tighter than the red ones you are using now. The crush rib probably will be slightly tighter than the red ones you are using now, but maybe near the same.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I shoot the SST 300gr, I use the Harvester H5045LB sabot, but have to knurl the bullet in my Ultimate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.