HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Black powder scope!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/395306-black-powder-scope.html)

ronlaughlin 11-09-2014 06:26 PM

Myself, i have found variable power scopes useful.

chaded 11-09-2014 06:35 PM

In that price range I would be buying the nitrex tr1 for $120 dollars. It is essentially a weaver grand slam and without a doubt is head and shoulders above the Bushnell xlt.

Muley Hunter 11-09-2014 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4168669)
It has been my experience that the power setting of the scope has to be turned to a certain value so that the BDC marks correspond to the point of impact of the load one is shooting.

Myself, i abandoned using a BDC reticle, when i learned from actual shooting that the power of the scope had to be reduced to make the various lines of the reticle fit the actual point of impact. It irritated me to turn the power of the scope down, when shooting long range. What good is a variable power scope, if one can't use the highest power to shoot the longest ranges, was how it looked to me. So.. the scope i owned with the BDC reticle, was sent back to the manufacturer for them to change the reticle to a standard duplex cross hair, and change the elevation dial to utilize a CDS dial engraved for the particular load i was hunting with at the time.

Normally, i'd just buy a fixed power scope, but Carlos gave me such a good deal I couldn't turn it down. I pretty much sight in at 4x, and hunt the same way. I just ignore the BDC reticle, and power setting.

I like the eye relief, glass, fast focus, and BC scope covers.

Muley Hunter 11-09-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by stude 283 (Post 4168676)
Muley,
If what you say is actually true would it not defeat the whole purpose of a variable scope? The whole idea is to have a lower power for in close shots and a higher power for longer range. If the scope is only accurate at the highest power why not just use a fixed power? I guess we have all been duped into wasting our hard earned money on useless variable power scopes.
by the way the scope in question moves 4" horizontally and 6" vertically between 2 and 8 power at 50yds.Not normal!

I agree, and others do to if you got to go to the links I posted. They're deleted now. I knew they would be, but you can find this info if you search for it.

All scopes don't do it, and I agree with Cal that Leupolds don't do it. I'm sure non of the better scopes do. The Bushnell I have could do it for all I know, but I just use one power setting.

ronlaughlin 11-10-2014 04:48 AM

Hey Muley,

At this moment i have 2 rifles with scopes mounted, and both are fixed power. One has a 4X scope, and the other a 1X scope. Simplification that works, is what it is.

Buckhunter46755 11-12-2014 05:52 AM

Kinda crazy but I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond shotgun scope on my Omega and it has worked flawlessly for the past 10 years. Extra-long eye relief and factory guaranteed to hold zero. Optics are surprisingly crisp for a cheap scope and low light capabilities are actually pretty decent. I think I paid all of $60 for it. If I ever have to replace it I would get a Nikon Omega, but as long as it keeps performing well as it always has I'm using it. I would normally shy away from a scope like this, but I needed one right away and didn't have money at the time. So I decided to give it a try & was very surprised.

Muley Hunter 11-12-2014 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755 (Post 4169152)
Kinda crazy but I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond shotgun scope on my Omega and it has worked flawlessly for the past 10 years. Extra-long eye relief and factory guaranteed to hold zero. Optics are surprisingly crisp for a cheap scope and low light capabilities are actually pretty decent. I think I paid all of $60 for it. If I ever have to replace it I would get a Nikon Omega, but as long as it keeps performing well as it always has I'm using it. I would normally shy away from a scope like this, but I needed one right away and didn't have money at the time. So I decided to give it a try & was very surprised.

I tried one of those once. The bad part is it has really bad sun glare. It turned sort of purple, and I couldn't really see good enough to take a shot. Cheap lens coating is the culprit.

cayugad 11-12-2014 06:31 AM

I have and shoot several guns with the Simmons 4x32mm Pro Diamond scopes on them. Even in bright sun. Never saw a bad sun glare yet. Maybe its too shady around me. I actually like the scopes. And I have abused them to death and they still hold up and never loose their POA. I even purchased a real cheap 2x20 Simmons. Don't even know the model number. It was $19.99. I figured if it broke, I have not really lost anything. Mounted it on a Knight LK-II 50 caliber. What an excellent little tree and walking rifle. Out to 50 yards I am deadly with it. And at dusk... it gets more light in it then I could hardly believe. I kind of like the scope and if I needed more cheap scopes I would look at them.

But I have taken what Ron was saying. When the Christmas sale hits... I want to mount a Leupold 4x40mm on my Sig Sauer 522 rifle. You think that would make a nice scope for a .22 Ron?

BarnesAddict 11-12-2014 08:20 AM

I blew out more Simmons scopes on muzzleloaders than any other rifle scope. I stopped using them years ago, except for an Aetec on a 17HMR. I will admit that the Aetec has fairly good glass, which is clear and why its still atop my 17 for vermin.

When I dumped Simmons, I made the move to Nikon and have and am still happy with them. A little out of the OP's price range but, the Monarch series are fine scopes. However.... I also blew one of those out after 4,000 rounds. I'd say that scope lasted long enough.

The sun glare that some have discussed is EASILY corrected. Buy a extended sunshade. I've use 4" sunshades on scopes and you can darn near look directly into the sun with them. It eliminates all that glare discussed. Surprises me it wasn't already mentioned.....

My VX6 Leupold w/CDS is zeroed at 100yds to 400yds and doesn't shift POI (unless you turn the dial).

Muley Hunter 11-12-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4169194)
I blew out more Simmons scopes on muzzleloaders than any other rifle scope. I stopped using them years ago, except for an Aetec on a 17HMR. I will admit that the Aetec has fairly good glass, which is clear and why its still atop my 17 for vermin.

When I dumped Simmons, I made the move to Nikon and have and am still happy with them. A little out of the OP's price range but, the Monarch series are fine scopes. However.... I also blew one of those out after 4,000 rounds. I'd say that scope lasted long enough.

The sun glare that some have discussed is EASILY corrected. Buy a extended sunshade. I've use 4" sunshades on scopes and you can darn near look directly into the sun with them. It eliminates all that glare discussed. Surprises me it wasn't already mentioned.....

My VX6 Leupold w/CDS is zeroed at 100yds to 400yds and doesn't shift POI (unless you turn the dial).

I could have, but going to better scope solved the problem.

Now I have sun glare with a peep sight. I solve it by removing the aperture, and using it as a ghost sight. Works great at my short ranges.

Buckhunter46755 11-12-2014 09:19 AM

I've never had a glare of any type on mine. Also bought it a long time ago when they were like $60-$70.... now the same scope is only $29.99 at WallyWorld. May be making them cheaper yet now. Like so many things.....

ronlaughlin 11-12-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 4169167)
........But I have taken what Ron was saying. When the Christmas sale hits... I want to mount a Leupold 4x40mm on my Sig Sauer 522 rifle. You think that would make a nice scope for a .22 Ron?

Of course it would. All my scopes are Leupold except for the 1X.

To be clear. Leupold doesn't make a 4X scope with a 40mm objective do they? Mine are 33mm, and i see they make a 22 scope with a 28mm objective, which might be the best choice for your rifle.

It is hard to find Leupold on sale.

cayugad 11-12-2014 10:02 AM

I have not checked into the exact models of scope yet. I don't know... that 28mm sounds interesting. Otherwise I was thinking of that Redfield that everyone is throwing on their muzzleloaders or a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. I guess I have more reading to do.