Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How often do you do a complete clean. >

How often do you do a complete clean.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How often do you do a complete clean.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

I clean mine with boiling soapy water if I shoot it that day.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot a Savage smokeless for over a decade now so that means I've pulled the plug out & shot brake cleaner down it now about 10x. That's it.

Back in the 80s I'da rather picked cotton by hand than clean a ol poc CVA Hawken I had that "patterned" instead of grouped. Then in the early 90s I bought a Knight Wolverine & hunted with it for a decade until I bought the Savage. I used to clean it after it was ever fired! It wasn't/ain't much more fun to clean than the ol Hawken was.

Did I mention I LOVE my Savage?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cleaning a gun is not like getting a root canal. Some of us like to do it, and the guns show it.

I bought a Remington 700 in .270 once. I brought it to my gunsmith to give it a general check up. He said he's never seen a bore so built up with fouling in the rifling, and he was doubtful that i'd ever get it out.

I went home, and scrubbed that bore for hours. When I thought I had it clean I brought it back to the gunsmith to check the bore. He said I had gotten about half of it out.

Once again I scrubbed and scrubbed. I tried all kinds on solvent, and about wore out a brush. I brought it back to the gunsmith again, and he said almost, but not quite.

One more trip, and I finally got it all. I never worked so hard on a gun before, but it turned out to be a very accurate gun.

I laugh when I hear someone say they don't need to clean their smokeless gun often. It always reminds me of that .270 I bought from someone who told me they take good care of their guns.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Cleaning a gun is not like getting a root canal. Some of us like to do it, and the guns show it.

I bought a Remington 700 in .270 once. I brought it to my gunsmith to give it a general check up. He said he's never seen a bore so built up with fouling in the rifling, and he was doubtful that i'd ever get it out.

I went home, and scrubbed that bore for hours. When I thought I had it clean I brought it back to the gunsmith to check the bore. He said I had gotten about half of it out.

Once again I scrubbed and scrubbed. I tried all kinds on solvent, and about wore out a brush. I brought it back to the gunsmith again, and he said almost, but not quite.
One more trip, and I finally got it all. I never worked so hard on a gun before, but it turned out to be a very accurate gun.

I laugh when I hear someone say they don't need to clean their smokeless gun often. It always reminds me of that .270 I bought from someone who told me they take good care of their guns.
Muley,

If that ever happens again, try some "Kroil" brand penetrating oil first. Just saturate a patch, run it through the bore and let it stand overnight. They call it the "oil that creeps" because it will literally penetrate or creep if you will, beneath the fouling to loosen it. It's pretty amazing stuff, and there are a lot of benchrest shooters that swear by it.

BPS
Old 11-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could have used it for sure. I think I used a whole bag of 500 patches.