Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not ML but

Old 10-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Not ML but

I figure you guys wouldn't mind me reporting on my Newfoundland moose hunt even if it was with a CF. It was a success with both me and my friend shooting meat bulls.
Attached Thumbnails Not ML but-dscn0080.jpg   Not ML but-dscn0100.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Funny how guys never look like you picture them.

Congrats on the moosey.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

very neat!! How much did the animal weigh? And how far was the shot? It looks like some thick bush you were in.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I figure you guys wouldn't mind me reporting on my Newfoundland moose hunt even if it was with a CF. It was a success with both me and my friend shooting meat bulls.
That is really great.... Glad you made the trip - glad you scored - sure is nice when a plan comes together...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave I'm not sure how much it weighed. I'm guessing live weight was around 1000 lbs or so. First shot was about 200 yards on a logging road - a frontal shot with the 06 that rocked him back. He ran about 150 yards and when we caught up to him he was broadside in the bush at 50 yards. I put 2 more in his lungs as he tried to run off and then he only went 25 yards and expired. I tell you I was so pumped up I never knew I could cycle a bolt action so fast. I put those last 2 rounds in him before he went a full body length and they were only 2 - 3" apart.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations Bronko. Lots of meat there. I'll bet the fun really started when the packing out began.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - Actually that was fun. I just took a nap on the logging road until my guide went back to camp and got the ATV and the cart to haul it out. When he got back he cut a few stumps off and with a bit of maneuvering he was able to get it right up to the moose as it was only 50 yards from the logging road. He cut it in half and we grunted and groaned a bit but got both halves into the cart/wagon and I rode double with him back to camp.
But I will tell you - where my friend got his I wouldn't have taken my ATV there but they did. They are incredible machines.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a great time. Did you see very many Moose. I've heard Newfoundlnad has lots.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Looks like a great time. Did you see very many Moose. I've heard Newfoundlnad has lots.
I saw one. But I got him on the second day of the hunt. My friend saw 3, all bulls. One he passed on the first day because it was facing him and he didn't shoot then another too far and moving too fast to catch. The 3rd was on the 4th day that he got. But the weather wasn't cooperating either. It was in the 60's every day with frost only one morning and we were on the waning end of a new moon which made the nights bright. But there was fresh sign everywhere showing they were moving at night.
One other guy in camp missed a dandy bull the last morning and shot the cow that was with it to fill his tag.
There was a father and son in camp that quit because they weren't seeing anything and went home early. But they (at least the dad) was expecting to have them both shoot a moose and a bear and be gone by Wednesday. I guess he expected a moose to be behind every tree. He wasn't being very realistic. Plus the dad wanted his son who was in his 20's to hunt with him instead of with his own guide which cut their chances in half and he wanted to hunt the way he wanted too and not listen to the guide. You all know the type. Let's play my way or I'm taking my ball and going home.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome! Sounds like you had a blast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.