Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #1) >

Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #1)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #1)

Old 10-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #1)

Man, it's been a long hot Summer and I haven't shot in a quite a while.

Got a chance to sneak in a short range session Saturday afternoon. And even though it was eighty-one degrees with humidity high enough that sweat didn't evaporate I couldn't hold off any longer.

The objective of the session was to try some lead conicals kindly supplied by edmehlig. Ed sent me two bullet weights, 350 grain hollow points and 465 grain flat points, all pure soft lead and sized to .451.

He sure does a nice casting and sizing job. Here's what they look like.

I intend to try these beauties with sabots in several of my .50 caliber guns. But yesterday's session was devoted to the .45 caliber Green Mountain barreled Renegade.

The bullets are a perfect slip fit in the Renegades 1:30 twist barrel.

I knew the gun was sighted in for dead on at 100 yards with .40 caliber/200 grain XTPs, and had no idea where those heavy leads would hit. So I set up a target at 25 yards and loaded one of the 350's over 65 grains GOEX FFFg with a felt wad under the bullet.

To my surprise, it hit only 3/4" below the left side of the 1" bull. (See shot #1 on target below.)

After adjusting the scope a little bit up and right, I took two more shots with the same load. That sucker shows promise! Both in the bull 1/2" apart.

Out of curiosity, I tried two shots with the 465 grainers with the same 65 grain load (shots 4 & 5 on the target). Those two had a 1-3/8" spread and may have potential with a heavier powder charge.

I didn't have a lot of time to play, so decided to work with just the 350's. With a target set at the 50 yard mark, I took five shots with the same 65 grain load. The .50 caliber felt wads were a pain to get in the bore without them getting cocked on the side. I can't swear they all went down perfectly flat against the charge. (Note to self - get some .45 caliber wads.)

Anyway, here's the 50 yard target.

I can tell you, I was pretty darn excited after shot number three. But four and five were a bit deflating.

After changing the adjustment on the powder measure to 75 grains, I tried five more shots at 50 yards.

Here's that target.

Can you say "BIG GRIN"?

Being pressed for time I had to quit for the day. It really stunk to have to leave without trying 75 and 100 yards, and different charges under the 465 grain bullet. But family obligations took precedence. Maybe next weekend?

Last edited by Semisane; 10-26-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow that is some good shooting... if you have any Triple Seven 2f next time out, try that under that big lead. Ed sure makes a pretty bullet.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Nice looking bullets and some nice groups. Might try a little spit to hold those fiber wads to the bottom of the bullets and stuff them down the bore together.

Al
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Van, glad you were able to sneak some time out this weekend and the 350gr bullets worked out for you! One or two clicks to the left and you'll be dead on and ready to go deer hunting. GRIN Hopefully the 465gr conicals work out just as well.

I'm hoping to get out sometime this week and shoot the same 350gr bullets with my son's 50cal. Encore using Harvester Sabots. That is as long as my priorities don't get in my way. Grin
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's just purdy! That might just kill, gut and skin our poor little southern deer all in one feel swoop.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting.

I would like to try some of those in my 1/30 Knights. I can't see why they would not produce similar results.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the results would be similar also Josmund.

These darn bullets are going to force me to get cracking on fixing up a .45 caliber barrel I picked up when I first started the Swamp Dragon project. I did the 54 caliber barrel and the .50 caliber barrel for the Dragon, but never got around to outfitting the .45 caliber barrel for it.

I just pulled the barrel blank out of the closet for a test and the bullets fit perfectly.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Van, that twist is what White ML's use for their 45 cal and you know how well they shoot in mine.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those look like they shoot well. Now you need to try some Paper Patched RCBS 11mm bullets in it. They shoot awesome in my 1-30. Ron

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's some very nice shooting. Those 350 grain lead pills would sure do a number on deer (or larger) creatures I'm sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.