Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What will you shoot? >

What will you shoot?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What will you shoot?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default What will you shoot?

So it's a little slow these days. I'm hoping our friend in NY can score one of the nice Bucks he has seen on trail cams and now, in person bow hunting.

My question of the day day is around what you will shoot with your tag?

I hunt in Western Kansas. Over the past 10 years or so I've seen a decrease in Mule Deer as the Whitetail seem to have moved them out of the range. Reports from our GFP Department will support my conclusion. I buy an OTC any deer MZ Tag and an any antlerless Whitetail tag.

When I hunt this fall, I will either shoot a nice big buck of either species, or I will fill the antlerless Whitetail tag. Probably not both as it's just me and the Mrs. these days.

My point is, if I can't score a mature buck, I'm going to try to knock down the Whitetail population a little bit. Let's give the Muleys a fighting chance.

I'd be interested in the plans of others? What say you?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My muzzle loader tag is good only for an antlerless whitetail. hopefully the tag will be filled; we need the meat. The rifle tag i have is good for any deer, and my goal is to shoot a spike buck. No way do i plan to shoot a buck with any kind of branch antler. Chances are, it will be a mule deer, if i manage to get a shot. Given a choice, i won't shoot a mule deer, but if if i see a spike mule deer in the area where there are just about zero whitetail, i will do my best to kill him.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, last week I killed 3 does with my Knight and 300gr Hornady XTPs, so I guess now I can buck hunt...

We get unlimited doe tags here in NC and can kill 4 bucks in the eastern region or 2 in the rest of the state...

I don't know how you fellows do it that only get one tag, I like to eat deer meat, now that my freezer is 3/4 full, I can have fun...
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

The whitetail season in my area is November 8th. to January 25th. The state-wide limit on whitetails is six per season (3 bucks/3 does), but our club limit is three (2 bucks/1 doe). I'm a meat hunter and plan to shoot the first thing I see that breaks 100 pounds on the hoof.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Off tomorrow to hunt in Fort Sill's primitive weapons deer season. Rules require the use of a sidelock muzzleloader and conicals or patched round balls. Fiber optic sights, scopes and sabots are verboten. i'll be using my caliber .54 TC New Englander and patched round ball.

Rules change on 25 October, when scoped inlines are legal for one week. With any luck, i'll get a deer with my New Englander.

i will shoot the first mature buck or doe without fawn that comes within range. Stopped shooting young bucks a few years ago. Range is 75 yards or less.

Last edited by falcon; 10-18-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last few years, my purpose for hunting has changed quite a bit. My wife can't eat red meat for health reasons so I only hunt for the enjoyment of the outdoors, spending time with family and a reduction of stress from the corporate world. It's a bonus if I get to put a nice buck on the wall.

That being said, I have several people asking for meat so I'll fill some doe tags for them.

I hunt in VA and TN so combined I can kill 5 bucks and unlimited does.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't meat hunt, but I do look for a big rack. I have not filled a tag for a couple of years. Our(MO) deer season has the archery season first(Sept 15-Nov 14), then the modern firearm season(Nov 15-Dec 07) and the primitive arms(Dec 20-30). I have only hunted during the modern firearms season, and then only the first weekend. This year I want to also hunt the primitive arms season, I will use a scoped Optima with a saboted bullet. In the area that I hunt I can only use one any deer permit and one doe permit, I will buy one of each. Most years it is too warm to shoot a deer in the Nov firearms season and carry it nearly 300 miles home. This year I have a large cooler, so if I do shoot something then I can dress out the main parts and ice it down for the trip. That should not be a problem in the late Dec. primitive arms season. My hunting is with family and that is the draw for me. They(sons, grandson) are into it and I am there more for support altho I do carry a rifle. A fall family reunion for a few days.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I WISH we had mulies here in west TN!

As for what I'll bust with either bow, mloader or rifle... In TN we have a 3 buck limit & does are 3 per day, per hunter, EVERYDAY from bow opener in late Sept til rifle closes in early Jan. I usually shoot 1-2 wall hangers each year & leave the doe bustin to my sons & their buddies/guests but on occasion I'll bust a slick head for the heck of it.

Mloader in TN is usually early-mid Nov so that's THE best time for ol sad daddy, swamp monster as they are usually eager & actively trolling for ladies! & me & my smokeless Savage are out there nearly everyday waiting!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only will have 2 days to hunt this year, so I'm not going to be picky. I'm not going to shoot a very small yearling doe, but other than that, if it's brown, it's going down.

I'll be taking out either the Knight Vision, or the .45 CVA Hunterbolt which has slain many a deer for me the past 8 years.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

I am after elk with an Ultra-Lite and a 300 grain Bloodline...

This is what I am looking for....

Wish this 2014 Colorado Bull was mine - but it certainly is something I would like to find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.