Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I'm new and need advice loading... >

I'm new and need advice loading...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm new and need advice loading...

Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Great advice on here so far. I switched from 777 to BH209 and did not look back. Been using the FED 209A primers. Only thing I will add is to get the proper drill bit and clean out the breechplug as part of your cleaning routine. I also blow mine out with an air compressor.

I also weigh my charges. From the Blackhorn website: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight.

Make everything as consistent as possible. Just like in reloading, consistency equals accuracy.

Last requirement is to post pictures and stories of your success & failures.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brettb1972
shot the 338 gr powerbelts again with 80 and 90 grains of blackhorn with winchester primers... no cleaning between shots ... 6 shots total...
much better loading as far as witness mark.... it never came back to witness mark from first shot.. but came back to same point each shot after the 2nd...

1 inch group at 50 a little left and 1" high from dead center
and 4 inch group at 100 about 10" high and left....

i couldnt get the hornady fpb in 350grns into my barrell at all.... damaged the copper jacket trying to get it started?????????
I have a little trick in loading the FPB bullets. They run big, so you need a loose bore for them to load easy.

So, what I do is use the barrel to size them. With the breech plug removed start the bullets down the barrel upside down. (point down) Just push them all the way down, and out the barrel. You've now sized them, but also etched the rifling in them. When you now load them to shoot start them lightly, and turn the bullet slowly until you feel the etching on the bullet line up with the rifling in the barrel. You'll feel the bullet drop it slightly. it's very subtle, so don't try to force it. Once you feel it start just push them down. Works for me.

Just size up the whole pack of bullets at once, and your done with that process. They're ready to shoot when you need them.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by brettb1972
shot the 338 gr powerbelts again with 80 and 90 grains of blackhorn with winchester primers... no cleaning between shots ... 6 shots total...
much better loading as far as witness mark.... it never came back to witness mark from first shot.. but came back to same point each shot after the 2nd...

1 inch group at 50 a little left and 1" high from dead center
and 4 inch group at 100 about 10" high and left....

i couldnt get the hornady fpb in 350grns into my barrell at all.... damaged the copper jacket trying to get it started?????????
When I load the FPB's the trick I use is, set the bullet over the muzzle. Be sure to center it as best you can. With your short starter, give that thing a very sharp rap with the heel of your hand. You want to drive that into the bore. Once in, it will move down the bore in a solid manner but will move down the bore.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
When I load the FPB's the trick I use is, set the bullet over the muzzle. Be sure to center it as best you can. With your short starter, give that thing a very sharp rap with the heel of your hand. You want to drive that into the bore. Once in, it will move down the bore in a solid manner but will move down the bore.
I almost broke my hand doing that once. It has it's limits. It's a .503 bullet, and pretty hard. It won't compress like a sabot, or lead bullet. Trying to pound it in a .500 bore will be painful.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I almost broke my hand doing that once. It has it's limits. It's a .503 bullet, and pretty hard. It won't compress like a sabot, or lead bullet. Trying to pound it in a .500 bore will be painful.
Not to mention probably deforming the bullet in the process.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Spike

yup mine has deformed from just constant pressure not whacking.... cant be that hard of a bullet then? they never came close to even sitting in the barrel...

Muley
so if i size them do i send them down the barrel from the muzzzle or from the breech?
seems to me starting from breech in the direction of travel as you would shoot it would allow rifling to be the most consistant? but again being a bow hunter im new to this???
and will i need to clean between shots with the FPBs and BH209?

Kathwack
and yeah im more interested in weighing out my charges... after experimenting with filling my charge tubes with a weighed out charge they all read differently every time.. must be how the powder settles when dropped in the tube?

im out of powerbelts now and only have the fpbs... until i can get down the mountain to restock on some bullets...
thanks guys... will shoot again friday? weather depending or wednesday?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I send them down from the muzzle.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're hitting 1" high at 50, you should not be 10" high at 100. I suspect this has more to do with your eyesight than the gun. The "six o'clock" aiming method may help. You can find plenty of info on it if you google it.

I shoot FPBs, and sizing is the trick to loading them. Once sized, mine insert into the muzzle with fingers only and slide down the bore easily. Once I contact the charge (Pyrodex RS) I lean on it pretty good to fill the hollow base and compress the charge. Pyrodex likes to be compressed. I don't know if that applies to BH209, but others may.

Also, sounds like you need to move your rear sight to the right a bit.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If you're hitting 1" high at 50, you should not be 10" high at 100.....
So true. Bullet should be hitting dang close to zero at 100.. maybe 1/2" high, if 1" high at 50.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Spike

tried sizing and well yeah ... i cant get the fpb's into my barrel any way i try??? damn near put all my weight into it..... tried a few hard wacks as well? ???? how hard should this be?

the skirt measures .509 to .510 the powerbelts measure .508 but they are soft as you all know.. going to range with some more powerbelts i picked up the other day... just to work on shooting 100 yrds only since i am having a tough time seeing/aligning open sight on the bottom of my 6" black circle (6 o'clock style)

also shooting the 22-250 after a solid few hours of cleaning the copper fouling out of her.... it will be nice to see the clover leaf at 100....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.