Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Any likely cause for accuracy issue? >

Any likely cause for accuracy issue?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any likely cause for accuracy issue?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting. Especially since you mentnioed that it used to hold tighter groups. Is your first shot of each range session consistent? From a cold, clean barrell, where does it hit. Now completely clean the gun including the breech plug, go through the same prep & load routine (pressure on ramrod, etc...) you would when pulling it out of the safe. Fire again without adjusting the scope. How does that hit in relation to the first shot? I would do this 3-5 times and see if you get a group.

If no group, I would pull the scope, drop down to 50 yards and repeat with open sights.

If still no group. Then it is probably either barrel or load. I would take a look at the JB Bore paste others have mentnioed and start playing with other loads (sabots, bullets, weights, powder, etc...).

Keep us informed.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless a shooter screws up a barrel, maybe from not cleaning it properly after shooting, that barrel should be ok. The OP is confident he let the barrel cool between shots.

I've had two Encore rifles that each had over 4,000 rounds through the barrels. With the exception of replacing breech plugs, the barrels shot as good after 4,000 rounds as they did with the first 100 rounds. Nothing was used in the barrels, short of cleaning them properly and making sure they were lubricated properly. JB nor any other product was needed or used. That may not be the case in everyone's rifle, however it is an example in two of my past Encores.

Each suggestion/recommendation pointed out above can be a contributing factor to bad accuracy or groups. Assuming that the OP is a reasonable shot with a good rest, properly maintained his rifle and the rifle shot great in the first place, the clues indicate it is most likely not the rifle. It could be related to the propellant and how humid it may be, how old it is or, maybe a bad lot of sabots or bullets. It certainly could be related to the scope, especially if the groups are not following adjustments. If you make a 3" down adjustment to your scope and the bullets/group doesn't follow, with all other things equal, I'd look real hard at the scope.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

You bring up a good point. most of us replace BP or vent liner as needed I wonder what his vent hole size is.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like I have narrowed it down to the scope. I took the gun apart today and checked the hinge pin in both pieces separately. It was really tight on the outer section and just snug on the inner section alone. I took the scope off and went to the range near my house. I set up with open sites at 50 yards and dropped in two pellets just to start. I shot three rounds all they were all within an inch left to right and about two inches from top shot to bottom. 10 times better then I was grouping with my scope. Sucks I have to spend some more money on a new scope but better then sending the gun off somewhere and having it fixed.

I know many of you swear by loose powder but if I can get consistent groups with the pellets I will likely continue to use them. If I was competition shooting it would be one thing but for deer hunting if I can keep them within a 2-3 inch group, then the convenience of the pellets out way the slight accuracy gain I will keep. Once I get a new scope on and move back to 100 yards or so I will see how the accuracy is with the pellets compared to loose powder.

Last edited by flyinlowe; 10-22-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...... glad you narrowed it down.

The best way to determine rather you have a scope problem, isn't always removing it and shooting irons, although that pretty much puts the icing on the cake. If you adjust your scope 3" or 4" and the bullets don't follow, when all things are equal and mounts/ring are tight, its normally the scope.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

We had a new Dix sporting goods open in town so I went in a purchased a new Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. They had them marked down to 199.00 plus I had a 10% of card from the grand opening so I was out the door for under $200.00. I know it's not their best scope but it should preform a lot better then the $59.00 Traditions scope I've had since the gun was new.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking forward to your next target photo.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Things went really well today with the new scope. Used a few shots to get it close. Started a new target and shot two rounds (top left two), then I moved the scope 4 clicks to the right. I was only at a 50 yard range that is why I had it shooting high. I am going to shoot it at 100 and 150 to see where it is at there. Obviously the Leupold has made a little difference.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

GOOD JOB

Your Leupold should serve you well..