Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening Day!!!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the poor image but my digital camera went dead and I had to take a couple of pictures with my iphone. Massive wound for sure! However, no "good" meat was ruined. He dropped straight down at 125 yards and never flinched again. I think that I'm going to like this new Ultra Lite!!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

lots of blood=shot meat
Old 10-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Definitely did some damage.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigtimer

How far did that buck run after the shot?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

DRT Sabotloader!!!! He never took a single step.

Let me fill in the details folks. After seeing a little doe at mid day on opening morning around 09:30, my uncle and I talked it over after church on Sunday and decided because of all of the talk on hunting in the middle of the day we decided to hunt from around 10:00 am till around 2:00 pm on Monday. I didn't get into my ground blind until 11:00 AM. After getting settled in, I remember let out a little chuckle and asking myself "what am I doing in this blind in the middle of the day".

At high noon, I looked down the shooting lane and I'll be danged if there wasn't a big ole doe at the end of the path! I couldn't believe it. I decided to wait a minute or 2 to see if she had a fawn with her and then was going to test out my new Knight Ultra lite and give her a shot. At 11:05 I had her in the crosshairs and was about to pull the trigger when I noticed another deer directly behind her and it had horns! I waited for the old doe to move out of the way and for the buck to turn broadside so that I could take the shot. Once everything was perfect, I settled the cross hairs behind the buck's shoulder and gently squeezed the trigger. At the crack of the shot the buck went down hard.

After waiting for about 15 minutes, I decided to walk about 50 yards behind the blind to get my 4 wheeler and ride down the end of my shooting lane and retrieve my buck but there was a problem. There were 2 does standing down there looking at the buck! So I waited for them to leave and got my 4 wheeler and drove down to the end of the lane.

Well, when I arrived, the buck was laying right where he had been standing just 30 minutes earlier. I winched him onto the 4 wheeler and headed out to a creek where I could field dress him. Once I finished with that chore, I met up with Uncle Ellis and we got him on ice and headed home.

Folks, I have struggled for several years to find a muzzle loader that was light, comfortable and accurate. Well, after many conversations with Sabotloader, my dream has finally come true. I want to publicly thank Mike for putting in all of the time to help me find the right gun, scope, and load that has given me the confidence necessary to become successful in the deer woods. Thanks again Mike, you are a true friend!!

God Bless you all!!!

Last edited by Bigtimer; 10-08-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!! I'm surprised that more don't hunt in mid day, especially around the full moon...I do quite a bit of it simply because when I have a day or two I can hunt, I want to be in the woods as much as possible...

My only question is, after taking the buck, why not reload and take a doe as well???

My opening day is tomorrow...I'm leaving here in the morning, picking up a buddy and taking the 5 hour ride down east to our hunting cabin...I can hunt until Wednesday and then I have to head back...I don't care for hunting this close to a full moon but my schedule is too busy to hunt when I want to...
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 AM
Fork Horn

Well nchawkeye, as you may know me from other forums that you and I frequent together, I have a disability and my uncle is in his 80's so cleaning 2 deer would have been quite a challenge for us. Don't you worry though, with all of the deer sign on the camera at my blind I should have no problem getting another opportunity at getting another one, or two or three. In fact I'm going today at 1:00pm and sit till dark!!!

BTW, what county is you cabin in (if you don't mind me asking)

Last edited by Bigtimer; 10-09-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: I caint spell
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

congrats great story too
Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big, sorry I hadn't picked up on that...Heck, I figured we were all young, strong and full of xxxx and vinegar...

Our farms are in Gates County, my dad was a WW-II vet and ended up being the John Deere dealer in that area...He bought a couple of farms, then Mom and I bought another when he died with the money we got when we sold the dealership in 1975...
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on the buck. Nice to know your rifle and load works so well.