Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry? >

How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Here's a great trick for preserving ANY powders or pellets.
You'll need a "FOOD SAVER" or other vacuum packing machine, but just put your powder or pellets in a roomy sleeve, and suck the air out and seal her up. No way any ambient moisture can get in.

Food Saver machines are awesome for storing more than just foods or meat for a loooooong time. Just found a packet of Oryx backstraps in the back of freezer from 2009. No freezer burn & still delicious!
Also a half used box of Pyrodex pellets from 2003. Took em out & fired em all. They worked perfectly... just like the Oryx steaks.
That, or you can shoot more.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just checked the bottle I am currently using... It was made in 2009 no problems at all with it. It shoots the same POI as any.

It really is in how you seal the bottle and keep it sealed over time.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have some containers that are 15 years old that are kept cool and dry and never had a problem. fyi i use the old ones for target shooting not hunting so i rotate them out. i always date them as well that way i know exactly how long iv'e had them.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Here's a great trick for preserving ANY powders or pellets.
You'll need a "FOOD SAVER" or other vacuum packing machine, but just put your powder or pellets in a roomy sleeve, and suck the air out and seal her up. No way any ambient moisture can get in.

Food Saver machines are awesome for storing more than just foods or meat for a loooooong time. Just found a packet of Oryx backstraps in the back of freezer from 2009. No freezer burn & still delicious!Also a half used box of Pyrodex pellets from 2003. Took em out & fired em all. They worked perfectly... just like the Oryx steaks.
Yes, Vacuum sealers are great for protecting meats and such from freezer burn as long as absolutely no moisture gets to the seal when vacuuming which will cause the package to appear sealed but within a short time it will be loose allowing freezer burn. Packages get tossed around and handled in the freezer and if any vacuum sealed package gets so much as a pinprick hole in it, there again it will become loose and allow freezer burn. I don't trust them to last so I check them often and use any that are loose right away.

But, as jimsmokepole says, they are great for dry storage of bulk spices, seasonings, etc., and even powder!

BPS
Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I bought 6 one pound bottles of loose way back in 2006 after hunting season ended and the gun shop was clearing shelves for summer stuff. I put them on the top shelf in the safe which has a golden rod inside. I just opened one of the four remaining bottles a few weeks ago and it is just fine.

Al
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Seven is a very stable powder. Been running some load development. One can of Triple Seven was opened in 2007: It has been kept tightly sealed. That can of powder performs like the new can opened this fall.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the same longevity with pyrodex. I have shot some that was over 10yrs old with no issues. I believe as long as they are stored dry and cool, time doesn't seem to hurt.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll chip in my 2 cents. I've used T7 powder that was 4-5 years old, stored in the original can with the lid on tight. Stored in the basement gun safe, no special preserving techniques. It seemed to shoot the same as new T7 powder.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long-time away from this sport. I just opened my jug of Trip-7 FFF from 2004 and it only had a couple of tiny clumps in it. I removed the entire contents and did not return the two tiny clumps to the jug.

I'll let you know in early December how well it shoots. In the meantime I'm using a .270 and .300WSM in the Northern Lower Peninsula, starting tomorrow evening.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

The boxes the pellets come in do not seal moisture out, this is one of the biggest problems with pellets .
I would believe that at the price they charge for them they would at least provide decent packaging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.