Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock >

Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
So far I have not found it liking the large conicals. But I think I will try again but cut the charge way down.

The new flintlock I shoot all the time. Its a boring rifle. It just goes off fine with 90 grains of 2f BP and a roundball. I was shooting it last week in fact. But it is a PITA to clean as it does not come apart.
Dave i tookv an extra nipple and drilled out as large as I could and still able to install it and put 1/4" vinyl tubing on it long enough to place in a bucket of hot water so I could scrub the bore out. It also kept water out of the stock when I flushed it ou
Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yeah, long barrels and pinned stocks are no fun when you're trying to protect the stock and keep moisture out of the barrel channel.
On cleaning flintlocks without the patent breech. I bought one of the kits they sell at black powder supply houses. It is no flimsy setup and the o-ring seal keeps all the dirty water away from your wood. I was balking at first but finally caved in and bought it. Glad I did.

Maybe some clever person here could figure out a way to make one themselves?
Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
Do you see the price they want for that rifle now? Wow! I have a gold mine on my walls.
Yeah, it just jumped up $200 overnight. Seems a bit excessive to me.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Newtire
Yeah, it just jumped up $200 overnight. Seems a bit excessive to me.
You realize when he posted that........ it was 2014?