Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think

Old 08-19-2014, 07:22 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default What do you think

What do you think Of the idea of muzzle brakes on inlines ?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
What do you think Of the idea of muzzle brakes on inlines ?
Really just my own thoughts... I do not own a rifle or ML that I would add a Brake to.

For myself just not needed, on the other hand if you are recoil sensitive they really do help - well I have been told they help.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kind of depends to me but they are LOUD!!!

One of the newer 416 SMLs shooting a 340-375gr bullet in the 3000fps+ range would be brutal without a brake. Performance exceeds that of the .416 Weatherby magnum cartridge with 119gr of Retumbo and a 450gr.

My 45 is not that bad but i dont push it either. I could approach 3000fps with a 275gr if i really wanted but i have no need to try it.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-19-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not for me. If it kicks so hard it needs a muzzle brake I don't want it anyway. Of course, I'm shooting whitetails at 175 yards or less.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kind of with everyone else. I think they have their place, but for me personally, I don't have any desire to own something that needs a brake.
Everything I've heard pertaining to one on a muzzleloader sounds like it just adds extra steps that I personally don't want to deal with. But you do what you need to do and it's all good.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The reduction in recoil comes at a very high price: Increased noise and concussion.

i used to own a .416 Rigby without a muzzlebrake; the recoil was not that bad.
i'm very surprised that many modern day shooters are so sensitive ro recoil. i see posts where guys want reduced recoil .260 Remington and .308 Wincheste ammo.

IMO: if a healthy guy can't handle the recoil of a .308 Winchester he's doing something wrong.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

My Pursuit XLT had one and I didn't like it. Not that it was difficult to clean but just an extra step I had to do. It also left 4 gouges on the base of my sabots.

I was at the range last week and the guy next to me was shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake. After his first shot, I thought he was shooting a BMG it was sooo loud and the concussion I felt thumped me pretty good. Come to find out, it was a .243 with an adjustable brake.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a removable brake on my Ultimate. IMO that's the only way to go, as I just remove it for cleaning, placing it in a container of Butch's PB Bore Shine to soak while I clean the barrel. Once the barrel is clean, I clean the brake, lube the threads and screw it back on. Easy to do and takes less than 5 minutes. Cleaning one built into the barrel may be a pain......

However as reported above, they are LOUD. VERY LOUD. If a shooter on the range next to you doesn't have good hearing protection, he's going to comment on it. My wife never complained when I was shooting at home using the Pro Hunter, however the Ultimate is a whole different story. She "prefers" I go to the club to shoot.

Without a brake, I believe the recoil from my rifle would be 70# and enough to limit much shooting. With the brake, I'm told it reduces that recoil by about 30%. That's enough to keep using the brake and of course the lead sled too.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
My Pursuit XLT had one and I didn't like it. Not that it was difficult to clean but just an extra step I had to do. It also left 4 gouges on the base of my sabots........
The bullet has already departed from the sabot. It doesn't affect accuracy.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a 7-08 youth model for my grandson and it has a muzzle brake that you can open and close. And cleaning all those ports are a real pain. I would never want one on a ML.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.