HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Looking for a new scope for Muzzleloader on a budget NEED some suggestions Please!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/392831-looking-new-scope-muzzleloader-budget-need-some-suggestions-please.html)

bigc870 07-08-2014 10:16 PM

Looking for a new scope for Muzzleloader on a budget NEED some suggestions Please!!!!

I am looking for a scope for my ML but I am not wanting to break the bank.

There is just so much good and bad stuff on any scope you decide to look up, it makes it seem like toss up.

I found a CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope Model number CPA416ORG2 and the reviews are very positive for both ML and rifle. You can get them at Walmart for around $70

Anyone had any experience with this scope or scopes made by CenterPoint?

Price and expected quality of a scope in my expectance has been a mixed bag. I have had $350 ML scopes and it lasted about 12 shots before coming apart and the replacement they sent lasted 3 shots they did refund my money. On the other hand I have bought cheap $40 rifle scopes and it lasted for years and I removed it to try something different another cheap scope30 shots or so it was finished and unusable I think with scopes it just how good of a job they putting them together and not the name or price on the box.

The reason for a limited budget is I will be have surgery next week and I will have to by a crossbow with a crank and that will be in the $450+ range with the crossbow I am looking at.

So to be honest I am looking at under $100 so any suggestions are welcome!!!

Blackpowdersmoke 07-08-2014 11:12 PM

bigc870,

I'm not your "go to" guy when it comes to scoped ML's but, I do have four scoped ML rifles. First off...what is the rifle you need the scope for and what is the average distance that you'll be shooting? Secondly, what's the max powder charge you're using? Do you have proper mounts?....There are a lot of factors involved. Please let us know what your rifle is and what your expectations are and I'm sure there are folks here that can help. Personally, I hunt in forested hardwoods where most of my shots are under 70-80 yds. and most of the deer I've taken with a ML rifle have been at 50 yds. or less. I prefer to use sidelock ML's so I probably won't be much help, but there's a lot of good folks on this site that can and will help you out.

Welcome aboard!

BPS

cayugad 07-09-2014 03:38 AM

I have used Simmons 4x32mm pre diamond scopes on four rifles and have yet to break one. For 100 yards and that, they work fine. Now granted they're not a leupold but neither is the cost.

Josmund 07-09-2014 03:39 AM

I have several of these Powderhorm scope from Cabelas. I see they want you to call for ordering which I'm guessing means they are changing models. They were selling them for $49 at one time. I've had good results with these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...OPE/645107.uts

falcon 07-09-2014 03:54 AM

I have used Simmons 4x32mm pre diamond scopes on four rifles and have yet to break one.
IMO: The Simmons 4X32 Pro Diamond scope is a bargain at twice the price. My hard kicking CVA StagHorn wore one for years. My rifled barrel 20 gauge shotgun still has one.

Jenks 07-09-2014 04:39 AM

Bigc, I just went thru the same process of finding a decent ML scope without spending a fortune. I settled on a Redfield Revenge from Midwayusa. This has the accu-range range estimating and the sabot reticule with crosshairs for several different distances. They are on sale for $88 with free shipping, they list for over $200. The selling point that won me over is that Redfield is owned by Leopold, if something goes wrong with the scope you send it to Beverton, OR where you send the Leopolds. They are well known for their good warrenty work. I have it mounted on a new CVA Wolf. So far I have not shot it, but I like its looks. It is a 3X9 with a 42mm objective. Take a look at them, that is a great price.

hubby11 07-09-2014 04:58 AM

Another vote for the Simmons 4x32 ProDiamond. Simple fixed 4x scope that is durable with decent glass and good eye relief. I've used mine on a TC Omega for 5+ years shooting pretty stout loads (120gr BH209 with either 350gr FPBs or 240gr Speer DCHPs) with no problems. Natchez should still have them for around $60.

Re the 4-16x40 CenterPoint, I would stay away from high magnification bargain scopes. Your money is much better spent with a lower mag fixed power scope with decent optics and with a muzzleloader, you do not really need the extra magnification anyway.

If you are not comfortable with the 4x power, the Cabelas Powderhorn at 3-10x40 is available here for $49. A great deal on a good scope. Cabelas backs up their products without question, don't know whether Wally World's CenterPoint will.

sabotloader 07-09-2014 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by bigc870 (Post 4147770)
I am looking for a scope for my ML but I am not wanting to break the bank.

There is just so much good and bad stuff on any scope you decide to look up, it makes it seem like toss up.

I found a CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope Model number CPA416ORG2 and the reviews are very positive for both ML and rifle. You can get them at Walmart for around $70

Anyone had any experience with this scope or scopes made by CenterPoint?

Price and expected quality of a scope in my expectance has been a mixed bag. I have had $350 ML scopes and it lasted about 12 shots before coming apart and the replacement they sent lasted 3 shots they did refund my money. On the other hand I have bought cheap $40 rifle scopes and it lasted for years and I removed it to try something different another cheap scope30 shots or so it was finished and unusable I think with scopes it just how good of a job they putting them together and not the name or price on the box.

The reason for a limited budget is I will be have surgery next week and I will have to by a crossbow with a crank and that will be in the $450+ range with the crossbow I am looking at.

So to be honest I am looking at under $100 so any suggestions are welcome!!!

Might take a look at either of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163...ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329...ProductFinding

Do not let the price fool you - they are better than you might think...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...d-revenge.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...nge-scope.html

bigc870 07-09-2014 11:52 AM

I have a .50cal Winchester Apex with a fluted barrel. The scope mounts I have are the 2 piece weaver type mounts and they are rock solid.

I currently shoot a 350gr Hornady FBP with now less than 90gr. of loose 777 and I have bumped up to 120gr of loose 777 with no lose in accuracy. The only time I use 120gr is when I am hunting over open fields where I need the added range. These bullets just are devastating to whatever you hit with them.

So it is safe to say at the most 150 yards or so will be my max range due to the size of the projectile.

I just love those Hornady FBP bullets, I tried them in my sons and some of my friends MLer's and not one of them would not out shoot any bullet that has been tried in them. Out of my MLer the 300gr FBPs where not as accurate but other than the weight everything is the same. I tried all kinds of different loads. They where plenty good enough to kill at 100+ yards just not as accurate as the 350gr.

bigc870 07-10-2014 09:57 PM

I have ruled out the scope I listed in my first post.

Here is my price range any where from $50 to $125 give or take. I would also like it to be 3-9X32 or 40

One thing that doesn't seem to effect me is how clear the optics are, I have shot with super clear and what I call just a standard clarity from you cheap line of scopes and it has made no difference in my shooting or how long I can see. Yes clear glass would be a plus but is not necessary.

Just give me some options that fall in the price range and I will research from there.