Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New ML on the way

Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
Hey fella's, I know that it's been a while since I logged in and started a conversation but now I have a reason to do so. My old CVA Optima Pro has been giving me a fit so I thought about all of the muzzle loaders that I have owned in the past that shot really well but I got rid of it for 1 reason or another. The gun that came to mind was a Knight Disk Extreme (I think that was the name of it).

Anyhow, I was looking at guns a while back when I ran across the Knight Ultra Lite. I fell in love with the looks of the gun and the fact that the gun weighs in at only 6 pounds was about all I needed to go ahead and order one. The gun that I ordered is not the western version and that it is the 209 version. I absolutely love the green kevlar stock and stainless barrel!!!!

This will probably be the last Muzzle loader that I will ever have to buy! So, what do you guys think about this gun?
I have an Ultra Lite and for myself and many others it is an awesome rifle.

It is a very light rifle, but the recoil you will experience is reduced by two methods. 1. It has a very good Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and 2. the stock has an aluminum block built into the Kevlar stock. The way the pad is built it helps direct some of the recoil down the pistol grip.

In the top 2 pictures you can see the bedding block that is built into the stock. This block besides helping reduce felt recoil insures that each time you take the barreled action in and out of the stock it returns to the same position in the stock.

Besides the Kevlar stock to help reduce the guns weight the barrel overall diameter has been turned down (contoured) to help reduce weight.

This picture shows the difference between a regular Knight 50 and a Ultra-Lite

This is one of the first targets that I shot from the rifle. For me this is pretty decent shooting - I know there a better target shooters than I out there and they would easily tighten this up.

I think you will really enjoy the rifle especially because of the weight factor. The 24" barrel does even make it a bit quicker getting on the deer than the longer more common barrel lengths.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

That's a sweet ml you got there Sabotloader. Mine will have the green stock and will have a Nikon scope on it as I live in the south and can hunt with a scope. Thanks for the opinions everyone!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Grouse45 I really respect your opinion. Thank you Sir!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Based on everything I have seen and read this is one great gun, If I didn't already own 3 Knights that group better than I can shoot (LRH, Master Hunter and Disc Elite) I'd order one in a heartbeat. All 3 of mine have been converted to use a bare primer. I shoot nothing but BH 209. The last 2 years my go to load has been 110 gr. by volume, a CCI 209M primer( per BH 209's website) and either 300 gr Hornady SSTs with their EZ load sabot or Harvester's 300 gr. Scorpion PT Gold with their black crush rib sabot. Great accuracy and down range results on game with both. I was getting more blow back than I cared for with the CCI's so I just switched to Federal's 209A primers. So far so good. Little or no blowback and no misfires. You need a hot primer for the BH209. Good luck with the new gun.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may get less blow back using W209 primers. In the Knight rifle/breech plug, they are plenty plenty hot to ignite Blackhorn.

History 101: The reason Western Powders recommend one uses magnum primers, is because of issues folk were having trying to use Blackhorn in rifles other than Knight and TC. After folks still had problems, even using magnum primers, Western Powders provided a Blackhorn friendly plug, to help folks with their issues.

These days one can use any standard shotgun primer in most any rifle, to successfully/reliably, ignite Blackhorn powder.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Spike

The best is definitely a Bad Bull Muzzleloader, but I don't think I would want to spend that kind of money on one.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzleloader1
The best is definitely a Bad Bull Muzzleloader, but I don't think I would want to spend that kind of money on one.
You are aware that a Badbull load data ONLY includes 130-140gr of IMR4350 or Pellets. No other powder is approved and that is a ton of smokeless.

At one time you had to shoot the load out of a BadBull. You could not "de-prime" it otherwise and you still cant on the UTE model. The current "2 stage" priming system is not as user friendly as some other LRMP designs either.

I would put a Gunwerks or a Jeff Hankins rifle up against them any day. You dont need 140gr of 4350 and/or 30" of barrel to break 3000fps. You could safely reach that speed in a variety of customs with roughly 78-80gr of 4198.

Or better yet....

A Swinglock in 45 or 416 if you really want to push the limits.

http://www.swinglock.net/

Swinglock 416
840yards
375gr bullet over 3000fps

http://youtu.be/gFjCjk0t6tM

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-11-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigtimer

Congrats, if i did not already have a 5lb Ultra Light i would have gotten a Knight UL. Both of my main hunting MLs are sub 7lbs and one is a 20" barreled 54cal based on a DISC action.

They are not my choice for a long day on the bench but i take them every time the shot needs to put meat on the table.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well, she finally got here today!!!!! I love that Kevlar stock. I'm going to the range early in the morning before it gets too hot. I wish that I knew how to post a picture on here. Hey Sabotloader, if I send you a picture would you post it for me?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
Well, she finally got here today!!!!! I love that Kevlar stock. I'm going to the range early in the morning before it gets too hot. I wish that I knew how to post a picture on here. Hey Sabotloader, if I send you a picture would you post it for me?
Sure I will - just send it to my email...