Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
harvester hard cast bullets? >

harvester hard cast bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

harvester hard cast bullets?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default harvester hard cast bullets?

I've been looking at bullets for my New Mexico Muzzy hunt this year and a friend of mine had a package of these he bought about 10 years ago, he said he tried them and they shot ok but were too hard to load to use for hunting so he gave them to me to try. The bullets are 45 cal 330 grain hard cast with E-Z load sabots. I shot some on Saturday
and he was right they do load pretty hard, but the accuracy was very good. At 100 yards with 100 grains Goex 2f the first three I shot were all toughing, pretty good so I tried 110 grains and the first two were touching and the third was half inch high. I was using my old Knight Bighorn 50 cal. That's the best groups I've shot in a long time. My question is are these bullets any good for Elk hunting? Has anyone ever used them on big game? My knowledge of hard cast bullets is limited to what the Harvester web site says and a little search on the web. AS for loading hard I see on Harvester's web that the new bullets come with crush rib sabot's so they should load easier. Is it worth ordering some of the new ones or should I be looking at a different bullet? thanks for any info
Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Crushribs feel like they load easier to me. Loaded OD is about the same as the Smooth sabots though. Im kind of surprised a Harvester Smooth black is tight in a Knight Bighorn.

Never used Harvester's hardcasts on game but hardcast bullets can be very effective. I have shot them and taken deer with other hardcast. They are excellent at breaking bone for quicker take downs and deep penetration. On media (completely soaked phone books), the penetration was insane.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Spike

If you search "hard cast" in this forum, you get a long list threads on this topic. Here are a couple of recent ones:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...t-bullets.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-boolitz.html

Looks like favorable reports from those who use them.

You can get the crush rib sabots separately if you want to try them with your bullets. With accuracy that good, I'd stick with the sabots you have unless you think you're going to break something or hurt yourself.

Last edited by Bill308; 05-19-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: missed word