Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
knight bighorn bare 209 bolt assembly. >

knight bighorn bare 209 bolt assembly.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight bighorn bare 209 bolt assembly.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 AM
Spike

Default knight bighorn bare 209 bolt assembly.

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jeff, Im 38 Im from Michigan, and Ive been hunting whitetail for 20 years. Up until 6 years ago Ive hunting with a bow and shotgun only. Well 6 years ago a frield introduced me to inline ML's. Being intrigued I found a good deal on a remington genesis .50 s.s. with composit stock. I havent hunted with my shotgun for 5 years now. I found the Rem. to be fairely accurate grouping 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 yards and I have played with numorous load combinations. Recently I aquired an LK-93 wolverive .50 s.s. and was very impressed by the accuracy of this gun. My fall back load is 275 gr. .44 QT. with 100 grains of 777 fff. My first 3 shot group with this gun stunned me because I had a 1 inch group at 100yds. with the first 2 shots and thought I completely missed with the third, but I put it rite in the first hole. I like the wolverine but want a longer barell. So I am Now buying a bighorn 1 piece at a time, But I do not like the fpj 209's. I would just use the bolt from the wolverine, but my girlfriend realy likes that gun also. I have bid on 3 bare 209 bolts on Ebay and have been outbid in the last 5 seconds every time. DOes anyone have a spaire bare 209 bolt assembly for sale, or know where to get one? Thank you very much, and Thank you Cayugad for all of your helpfull posts. I think Ive read everything youve written about the genesis.

Last edited by Wood2662; 05-02-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. I have three LK rifles and all of them use the #11 caps ignition system. As long as I shoot loose powder and not BlackHorn 209, which because of the open bolt design should not be used in the rifle anyway, I have great ignition and accuracy. I will keep my eyes open for a bighorn 209 system and let you know if I spot one around.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 older Knights. 1 is a very old one that doesn't even have a model number in .50 cal and an other one that I just acquired in .54. That one is an LK-93 Black Knight. Both of these rifles came with the #11 percussion cap ignition. When I got the .50 I bought the conversion kit that uses the 209 with the red plastic jacket. And the only reason I did was because my #11 caps kept coming off while hunting.
With the .54 I was having the same problem but through old age and experience I learned how to solve this. I simply took my file to the nipple and with just a couple strokes and rechecking with a cap I took a few thousands off the nipple and also left a slight burr on the mouth so the cap is held securely in place. Once fired the cap comes off easily. Unfired caps now take a bit of effort to remove.
I too do not see the need to switch over to 209 primer ignition unless that is what you really want.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1372020.htm

This may suit you
Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Spike

THanks for the help guys. I have nothing against #11 caps, but my other guns use 209 so I was looking to stick with that. As far as the FPJ's, at first I didnt like the thought of adding yet another ingredient to the recipe, but I realy think the jackets will help against torching the bottom of my scope. And thanks for the Numrich web sight. I cant believe thats bolt assembly is less than half the price that knight has it listed for.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=Wood2662;4138065]THanks for the help guys. I have nothing against #11 caps, but my other guns use 209 so I was looking to stick with that. As far as the FPJ's, at first I didnt like the thought of adding yet another ingredient to the recipe, but I realy think the jackets will help against torching the bottom of my scope. And thanks for the Numrich web sight. I cant believe thats bolt assembly is less than half the price that knight has it listed for.[/QUOTE]

The parts that Numrich has are old stock and they are just trying to sell out of them. They also have the Williams FP peep site for about 1/2 price you might look at one of those also.

My personal opinion with an open breech like a the older Knights have you are far safer using the FPJ (red jacket) than a bare 209 primer. the bare 209 or some of its parts on some occasions can be ejected out of the breech area and become flying missiles themselves.