Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Toying with the Lyman GPH .50 >

Toying with the Lyman GPH .50

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Toying with the Lyman GPH .50

Old 04-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Toying with the Lyman GPH .50

The Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a 1:32 twist designed for sabots. I was using 220 gr PR Dead Centers today @ 100 yds of the bench. This rifle has been zero'd with these bullets 2 inch high at 50 yds.

I really had no idea where it would shoot these bullets at that 100 yd range so I covered the bull and touched off a shot. My bad as the shot sailed high. It was dead centre but about an inch high off the paper.

Seeing this I dropped my sight picture down and put a bit of white between my front sight and the bull. I then touched off 4 more shots. It was a little windy out there at times and that may have caused the drifting or it was me not keeping a consistent sight picture. Or maybe a lot of me and a little of the wind. Either way they show some promise.

Here is my 50 yd target.

and the 100 yd target.

And of course no trip to the range is complete without a little 3 Shot Challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Chx76AEZI4

Oh did I mention how small a 2 inch bull looks like at 100 yds? I had a hard time even with the binos!

HA
Old 04-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

That is good shooting there ... and a heck of a powerful load. That's with open sights right? I am itching to get my GPH flintlock out. It is such a nice rifle to shoot.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks cayugad,
It was with Lyman peeps.

HA
Old 04-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's 4 dead deer!!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That bullet at 220 gr seems to shoot pretty light. When I was shooting it at lower charge volumes it was all over the place. I still have some wiggle room with it so I may just bump it a bit more to see what happens. Maybe a 3 inch bull might be in order as well. :-)

HA
Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Lyman Peep sights are kind of the Cadillac of peep sights IMO. I had other peep sights on rifles and never cared for them. But only in low light. I always considered a Lyman peep with that fancy front sight where you can put aiming points in the thing.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to change out my blade for one of those fancy front sights things might be different but I consider them target sights and not hunting sights. I like the Lyman peeps for their adjustability. You can do semi fine work with the target aperture in and switch it out for a hunting aperture when needed.

If I were using open sights I'm not sure I would even hit the target at a 100. ???

HA
Old 04-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting Huntaway. Those poi's at 50 transferred just as I would have expected at 100. Maybe you did a little "heeling" on #4 & 5 then settled right back down. Overall looks like very good shooting form to me. Nice work. Swabbing between rounds presumably?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Yeoman. My 100 yd shooting needs some work. Things just seem so small way out there. lol

Yes I do swab between shots.

HA
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took the GPH out again today. I changed two things, well actually three things.. One was my target style and the other was my charge. I bumped it up to 110 gr 2F Goex. After my first shot sailed 5 inches high off target, the third thing I changed was my rear sight and screwed it down three full turns.

This larger diamond shape allowed me to cover some black with my front post and still able to see the rest of the black. I think that helped tighten things up a bit as well. Definitely much easier to see.

I had two flyers that were most likely driver error. Over all grouping not too bad for 9 shots. I still have a bit of wiggle room with the charge. I'm not experiencing any hammer blow black yet. It seems to be tightening the higher I go.

HA