Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sacrificial hammer >

Sacrificial hammer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sacrificial hammer

Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by yeoman
I could do that. I'm concerned it will flare the nipple within 15-20 rounds. A good nipple runs $8. I was shocked I can buy the lower hammer assembly pictured for under $12. At that price, I may as well have a hammer to go with each breech plug setup. I guess I could just buy another gun! lol
The top hamer in the picture is the same one that came with my MK-85 .54cal. Many of us beleive that at the end of the MK-85s life Knight was shipping them with sort of a "Universal" hammer that would lite off both caps and primers.

Your concern of Nipple flaring is well founded and happened to me. It took a few firings before it became hard to seat a cap over the end of the nipple but evidence of it is there after first firing. You definitely do not want to dry fire it with no cap or it will pretty much destroy the nipple. When cleaning the rifle you can dress the flaring down with a small file to keep using the nipple. I had no plans to shoot the rifle with 209 primers and keep it as a #11 ignition so I put the hammer in my drill press and used an endmill to remove about 90-95% of that little cone and then polish the hammer face. No more nipple flaring and ignition is perfect. If it were me, I would remove the cone from the hammer on the top in the picture.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Shawn - I don't have an end mill for my press. Thought I'd see how it goes with a dremmel and the flat end of a cylindrical stone. I have the breech plug so am ready to go.