Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder charge VS barrel length >

Powder charge VS barrel length

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder charge VS barrel length

Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might find this interesting.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu66_2.htm
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
BPS...If memory is correct the one used to kill Lincoln was about .40 caliber, I can't imagine Booth using more than 30-40grs...

I've also read that Lincoln also probably died as much from one of the doctors probing for the ball as the damage made...
To the OP, I'd start with 20grs FFF Goex and move to about 40grs...You can check penetration by shooting into gallon jugs of water or 2x4s...
Yes nchawkeye, I believe you're right. I've heard that the examining physician actually stuck his finger into the hole created by the ball and felt around to trying to find it. I saw the actual derringer Booth used when we visited D.C. on our senior trip (a very long time ago) when I was in high school. Ford's theater and it's museum was one of the points of interest we visited while there.

BPS