HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   "Best" White Muzzy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/389151-best-white-muzzy.html)

COLOelkman 01-21-2014 07:04 PM

"Best" White Muzzy?

I recently bought a White muzzle loader based on lots of good comments I've read on them. I haven't posted much on this site but it seems to have a strong muzzle loader following I thought I'd pose the question I have here. I'm trying to understand the differences between some on the White models. My interest is for elk hunting and shooting "longer distances". (perhaps in the 200+ yd range). I understand this will take some work to accomplish and I plan on doing that this summer.

If you could have any model of a White muzzle loader, which would you pick and why and what would be a reasonable price to pay for a used one in good condition? Be as specific as you wish!

Thanks for your feedback!

Josmund 01-21-2014 07:23 PM

Whatever one you bought is the best.

I'm no White expert but my plain Jane Bison shoots Conicals extremely well. It took me a while to get used to the slip fit theory but I've now fully embraced the concept.

cayugad 01-21-2014 07:40 PM

I have yet to see a White Muzzleloader, no matter what model that does not shoot conical bullets unbelievably accurate. Sabotloader has even proved their worth with sabots and pistol bullets. And some of his reports are just plain remarkable. He really worked the rifle and proved a White Muzzleloader is worth their salt.

As to which model is best. Well they all have good points and flaws.

The G series Whitetail and Bison.. their draw back as I see it is one locking lug on the bottom of the barrel.

The M97 improved on the G series with basically two locking lugs on the bottom.

You have the Lightening Model. Its light weight, but they shoot so accurate I have always wondered why they did not make more of them. I have heard that they crack stocks.

And then you get into the Model 98.. a little heavy to my liking but they are built like a tank. Meaning they will shoot accurate and never break down.

White made a T bolt action model. I know nothing about it. Never put my hands on one. But those that own them always talk about how accurate they are.

Then you get into the Super 91 and 91-II and they are a Cadillac of White Rifles. When they are bedded and tuned.. well how do you beat them? All I have heard of them are good things. I once got to shoulder one. It shouldered like a dream. Excellent balance. But the man wouldn't let me shoot it, or buy it.

There are other models out there like the Black Tail Hunter, Whitetail Hunter, all based on the M97 I believe. White experts help me out here.

I own two M97 models. Both laminate stocks, stainless steel barrels, etc. the works. One in .451 caliber and then the other is the Ultra Mag which is the premium model for that IMO in .504 caliber. And yes, they shoot large lead with amazing accuracy. I know of one person that put a Lyman Peep on his Ultra Mag (they are tapped for it) and was shooting 200 yards with some amazing groups. He uses it to elk hunt.

So what model do I recommend.. Well because of my experience I would have to say the M97. If you can find it in an Ultra Mag, even better.

What are they worth? Well that depends on how bad you want it. And what condition it is in. The two M97's I have I would not take a penny less then $400.00 for each of them. And they are in mint
shape.

My .504 Bison is a nice rifle. It was purchased used from someone that should have been horse whipped for not taking care of his guns. I brought it back to life and like all Whites.. 85 grains of 2f Triple Seven and a 460 grain all lead conical and its a dead drilling shooter.

gregrn43 01-22-2014 02:29 AM

I have only held one super 91 and I could kick myself for not buying it. I have a G-series whitetail that was a Christmas present from my wife bought back in the early 90's. Shoots like a dream with conicals, it would be the last muzzy i'd part with. Got a cousin in Ohio who owns a white lightening and its a heck of a shooter as well. I havent taken mine hunting in 3 years, I bought a new Triumph that I have been shooting, but next season its gonna hit the woods again.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-22-2014 02:52 AM

Well...

I am not into in-line muzzleloaders, BUT, if I ever decide to cave in, I'll probably go with a White based solely on what I've read about how accurately they shoot the solid conicals. I'm not into saboted bullets as of yet (I don't care to use plastics), but I do shoot solid lead conicals in some of my sidelocks and I'm considering trying paper patching. Some of the models Cayugad has mentioned would be of interest should I go that route, especially the Super 91 or 91 II.

BPS

sbuff 01-22-2014 01:40 PM

I don't know if there a best White , they are all shooters. As cayuga said they are conical shooters and even throw plastic darn good too. All are built like tanks. I always say grab a coffee,beer,whiskey or whatvever you prefer and check out Docs site.

I have a S91-11 and a thunderbolt and both will never be sold. I have a Williams peep on one and a Lyman 57 on the other. Parts can be found but as stated they are built like tanks.
Steve

edmehlig 01-22-2014 05:51 PM

Ditto to what everyone said about White ML's. I love both of mine M97 & M98 in 451 caliber. I had a Super91 & a M97 Ultra Mag but sold them to friends. I love hunting with ML's and rarely hunt with my 280rem any more. Something about that smoke when they go off. Wished PA would allow precision ignition instead of flintlock during our late ml season.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-23-2014 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by edmehlig (Post 4117873)
Ditto to what everyone said about White ML's. I love both of mine M97 & M98 in 451 caliber. I had a Super91 & a M97 Ultra Mag but sold them to friends. I love hunting with ML's and rarely hunt with my 280rem any more. Something about that smoke when they go off. Wished PA would allow precision ignition instead of flintlock during our late ml season.

The flintlock season is just what it is for a reason, to keep things traditional.

BPS

edmehlig 01-23-2014 12:26 PM

I love to hunt the late PA season with my Lyman Flintlock. Just wished I could use a Percusion Cap (Not Inline). I hate it when they don't go off, but hey that's part of hunting.

sbuff 01-26-2014 04:48 AM

Now you need to say what you bought !!!!