Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Disc Extreme >

Knight Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Extreme

Old 09-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Spike

Default Knight Disc Extreme and LRH

I have researched everything I can on Blackhorn 209 and Knight Muzzleloaders. I can not get either gun to ignite BH209 I bought the CCI 209 M primers like Blackhorn recommended. The LRH is no FPJ it’s just the 209 primer breech plug system and still nothing just the primer got pop and nothing. Tried it in my Disc extreme with FPJ and first try primer goes off and nothing. Second try primer fires and then bam the BH209 ignited but I felt the delay. Im
hoping my fellow hunters on here can help me out because I read message after message on here and everyone loves their BH209 in the same guns I can’t get to fire the stuff! Thank you in advance any help would be greatly appreciated ~ Freddy
Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 AM
Spike

Freddie, I am not familiar with all knight rifles. Is yours an inline? Does it have a breech plug made for 209? Inlines are NOT recommended to shoot 209 and 209 rifles take a special breech plug. . But if yours is set up to shoot 209, swap over to Winchester blue box primers.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Freddy531
I have researched everything I can on Blackhorn 209 and Knight Muzzleloaders. I can not get either gun to ignite BH209 I bought the CCI 209 M primers like Blackhorn recommended. The LRH is no FPJ it’s just the 209 primer breech plug system and still nothing just the primer got pop and nothing. Tried it in my Disc extreme with FPJ and first try primer goes off and nothing. Second try primer fires and then bam the BH209 ignited but I felt the delay. Im
hoping my fellow hunters on here can help me out because I read message after message on here and everyone loves their BH209 in the same guns I can’t get to fire the stuff! Thank you in advance any help would be greatly appreciated ~ Freddy
How Ironic, i am gonna start counting these BH209 Failure threads , I JUST got done saying on another Forum that their will be MORE N MORE of these BH209 Threads Pop up as more Affordable BH209 Compatible Guns Continually become available, Hangfires, Fail to Fires, Partial Fires, etc. it is INEVITABLY gonna happen. BH209 requires X amount of Compression in order to ignite. It is VERY FINICKY Powder, BH209 has very specific requirements, if they are not met, it will Fail.

Are you sure your Breechplug is BH Compatible? Are you seating your Bullets HARD on the Powder? Are you using an Over powder Wad? If so, what Type of Wad? I have a Friend in Tennessee that Had BH209 FAIL MISERABLY using Wool Felt Wads, when he switched to Vegetable Fiber the Problem went away. With Wool Felt Wads he Had Some Complete Fail to Fires, Hangfires, and Partial Fires, He Told me that there was Hardly any felt Recoil? The Bullet didn’t make it to the Target (BH209 will Start to ignite, and will actually Go out if there is not enough Compression)
Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

You don’t state what Bullets you are using? If by chance you are using Lead, Western Powders does NOT Recommend using Lead Conical Bullets

Q/A No. 18
https://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/
Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

clean the carbon buildup out of the breechplug and I bet it will ignite no problem. Knights don’t need any type of special breechplug. They shoot Blackhorn fine out of the box.
Lots of threads on how to clean the breechplug plus it’s on Blackhorn website so no need for me to rehash that.
you also need a tight fitting Bullet seated good

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 09-13-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Freddie, I am not familiar with all knight rifles. Is yours an inline? Does it have a breech plug made for 209? Inlines are NOT recommended to shoot 209 and 209 rifles take a special breech plug. . But if yours is set up to shoot 209, swap over to Winchester blue box primers.
I think you mean plunger guns not inlines . And his would be bolt action not plunger. Knights don’t need a special breechplug.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 PM
Spike

I talked to the people at Knight and Blackhorn. The people at night told me that the breech plugs in the LRH and Disc Extreme are too short to ignite BH209 and the Mountaineer and ultra light will ignite BH209 every time. They said it’s 50/50 chance any Disc extreme or LRH will fire it! The people at BH 209 were very kind and explained that the 209 primer spacing is too loose in those model Knights and are sending me some O-rings that they had made for CVA’s that might work. They are sending them at no charge and talked to me for longer than they needed to’! So I was impressed by them. The same guy at Knight told me a few weeks ago to back out the breech plug a quarter turn and both guns would fire the BH209! Then while I’m at the range after several attempts with both guns and not one shot fired but many primers! He said yeah it’s a 50/50 chance! I orders Leigh defense breech plugs for both guns and will try one more time before going back to Triple 7! Couldn’t believe after reading so many comments and stores about Disc extremes and LRH shootings BH209 so great and my luck I couldn’t get either one haha! Well live and learn! New isn’t always better I guess! BH209 guy said they have powder that’s 13 years old that fires every time so at least I can use these cans I have with a future gun! He also said without hesitation T/C shoots the powder the best! thanks for your reply’s guys
Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I talked to the people at Knight and Blackhorn. The people at night told me that the breech plugs in the LRH and Disc Extreme are too short to ignite BH209 and the Mountaineer and ultra light will ignite BH209 every time. They said it’s 50/50 chance any Disc extreme or LRH will fire it! The people at BH 209 were very kind and explained that the 209 primer spacing is too loose in those model Knights and are sending me some O-rings that they had made for CVA’s that might work. They are sending them at no charge and talked to me for longer than they needed to’! So I was impressed by them. The same guy at Knight told me a few weeks ago to back out the breech plug a quarter turn and both guns would fire the BH209! Then while I’m at the range after several attempts with both guns and not one shot fired but many primers! He said yeah it’s a 50/50 chance! I orders Leigh defense breech plugs for both guns and will try one more time before going back to Triple 7! Couldn’t believe after reading so many comments and stores about Disc extremes and LRH shootings BH209 so great and my luck I couldn’t get either one haha! Well live and learn! New isn’t always better I guess! BH209 guy said they have powder that’s 13 years old that fires every time so at least I can use these cans I have with a future gun! He also said without hesitation T/C shoots the powder the best! thanks for your reply’s guys
I do not what is going on for you, unless you are using FPJ ignition. I have shot old DISC's - New DISC's, LRH's - Super DISC's - even DISC Originals and have never had any problems shooting BH-209. But.... I am shooting bare primer breech plugs with plain old W209 primers. One of the most important things is to keep the 'flash channel' immediately under the nose of the primer cleaned and free of carbon buildup.

Also you should know when he says TC guns shoot them best he is referring to the older TC rifles with the short breech plug. Do not think they even use the breech plug any longer.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

A) Get the Lehigh plug and extra vent liners
B) Get some plain old Win209s
C) Get a 5/32 hex head drill bit to keep the flash CHANNEL clean. Old Knight plugs are probably a 1/8" channel if you want to clean them out. New plugs might be a 5/32 also.

Install the plug and adapter in the bolt.
Measure the length of a few primers and write it down
Insert each primer in the action with the Lehigh plug and close the action. DONT FIRE THEM
Remove each primer and measure them again.

Are they now shorter than new?
If you got atleast a .002-.003 crush you will be ok but some primers might have a tiny bit of soot after firing them. A .004-.005 crush is ideal.

When setup correctly a Lehigh plug will fire off BH209 with even the weakest of primers...I know...ive done it many times for testing but would never use them under cold hunting conditions.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.