Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
500 S&W bullets in a Lyman GPH >

500 S&W bullets in a Lyman GPH

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

500 S&W bullets in a Lyman GPH

Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 500 S&W bullets in a Lyman GPH

I have been working with a man that bought a LGPH. He was wanting to shoot my paper patched bullets. His first shots through this new gun was three shots at 50 yards. This is it.

He sent me news today that he took the rifle out today and shot a three shot group at 100 yards. The load is 80 gr of pyrodex P, an over powder wad, and a Paper Patched Lee C-501-440-RF bullet. This is the same load I use in my Hot Rods. I was excited to see another brand of traditional rifle shoot this load so well. Ron

Last edited by idahoron; 01-19-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

that does sound like something I would like to try in my GPH. I will have to look into that further. Perhaps another mold is necessary.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

My one and only foray into paper patched bullets about two years ago was a total failure. I tried bullets from Lee's .458/405 grain flat point mold and shot them in a .45 caliber Green Mountain 1:30 twist barrel. The bullets were cast in pure lead and came out at 422 grains. I sized down a bit and patched them with paper from an old dress pattern (a mistake?). It was thin and seemed pretty tough and durable. Also, I didn't use an over powder wad (evidentially another mistake ).
Old 01-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't seem to get the second picture to load I will try it here.

Last edited by idahoron; 01-19-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
My one and only foray into paper patched bullets about two years ago was a total failure. I tried bullets from Lee's .458/405 grain flat point mold and shot them in a .45 caliber Green Mountain 1:30 twist barrel. The bullets were cast in pure lead and came out at 422 grains. I sized down a bit and patched them with paper from an old dress pattern (a mistake?). It was thin and seemed pretty tough and durable. Also, I didn't use an over powder wad (evidentially another mistake ).
That green mountain barrel likes a lot smaller bullet than the .458 I tried them and they were no good. I will give you a recipe for a awesome shooting load. I have that barrel I shot a deer with it this year.
The bullet is a RCBS 11mm
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/695...rain-flat-nose

The paper is
http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pap...-per-ream.html

The over powder wads are made from wool felt. I got it from the local fabric store.

Powder is Pyrodex P 80 grains.

The lead is about 8 to 8.5 hardness or 40-1
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...lead_alloy.htm

Then you size them after the paper is wrapped on dry. The sizer is a Lee .451

This recipe will shoot well in Green Mountain 1:30 twist guns.

Last edited by idahoron; 01-19-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Ron. How important is the lead hardness factor? I have tons of pure soft lead, but don't know squat about getting a specific hardness factor. I have about a dozen muffin tin ingots of wheel weight lead that ring when dropped on concrete.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's some great shooting by your friend Ron, for sure!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Thanks Ron. How important is the lead hardness factor? I have tons of pure soft lead, but don't know squat about getting a specific hardness factor. I have about a dozen muffin tin ingots of wheel weight lead that ring when dropped on concrete.
From my tests it is very important. The longer the bullet the harder it needs to be to stay straight during the launch. Ron