HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/388865-lyman-gpr-stock-i-hate.html)

mounting man 01-11-2014 02:36 AM

LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

I hate the half moon on the rear of my stock!!!!!! After 8 shots,i am ready to sell the gun? I thought about cutting it off and putting a flat brass but plate on it. Then again,i don't want to hurt the resale value of the gun? I should just sell it.
How did they ever shoot or why did they ever make the stocks this way?

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 03:06 AM

With that type stock, you don't put it against your shoulder as you would say a shotgun...Put it between your shoulder and upper arm, it's made that way for off hand shooting...

Have fun!!

bronko22000 01-11-2014 04:31 AM

why do you hate it is my question. that crescent buttplate was designed to wrap around your shoulder. And the muzzleloader does not have a lot of recoil even with a 100 gr charge and 300 gr bullet. (50 cal).

SuperKirby 01-11-2014 05:26 AM

This seems to be an issue that comes up occasionally. Is there any chance someone that has a gun with a crescent buttplate can take a few pictures of how to/how not to shoulder the gun. I don't currently have anything with that style plate or I would. Just thought it might help out.

RobertSubnet 01-11-2014 08:33 AM

This seems to be an issue that comes up occasionally. Is there any chance someone that has a gun with a crescent buttplate can take a few pictures of how to/how not to shoulder the gun. I don't currently have anything with that style plate or I would. Just thought it might help out.
Indeed it would and this is a great idea...maybe something for the reference section: "Shouldering A Rifle With A Crescent Butt Stock."

I also have a GPR and it is mostly a safe queen because I do not think I am shouldering it correctly. Isn't it supposed to hook into your armpit?

Thanks

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 08:45 AM

Just move it off the shoulder to where the arm and shoulder meet...

Why is a picture needed for that???

RobertSubnet 01-11-2014 08:56 AM

Just move it off the shoulder to where the arm and shoulder meet...

Why is a picture needed for that???
Because it seems like it will dislocate my arm if I do that! :)

Blackpowdersmoke 01-11-2014 10:10 AM

My friend has a GPR .54 and although the crescent butt plate on a GPR is more pronounced than the T/C Hawken's, I didn't notice any real difference between the two when shooting them together. Maybe it's because I've owned Hawken rifles for years and grew up with that style of butt plate. He on the other hand, doesn't like it and wishes he had bought a Renegade.

BPS

Omega45 01-11-2014 11:18 AM

Sell it and buy an inline. :wave:

rafsob 01-11-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 4115384)

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!! :hit:

chaded 01-11-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 4115384)

A smokeless inline. :wink:

mounting man 01-11-2014 11:43 AM

Omega45,i have 5 inlines!!!!!
If i hook it between my arm and my shoulder,i am not a little person,it is a long ways to get to the stock and line of sight to the sights. If you try to shoot,this type of stock like a regular gun,you get two brass tips pushed into you !
I wonder if it would fit into a Deerstalker stock,but,i am leaning towards selling it?

rafsob 01-11-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mounting man (Post 4115237)
I hate the half moon on the rear of my stock!!!!!!

If you felt this way, then why did you buy it in the first place??? :confused0024:

Blackpowdersmoke 01-11-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4115393)
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!! :hit:

Eeeeasy now rafsob...you'll be accused of being negative and called a grumpy old man! But don't fret it because THIS grumpy old man totally agrees with you! :happy0001:

BPS

mounting man 01-11-2014 12:19 PM

Why did i buy it? Well,because of the rep of Lyman BP guns and i have a couple of the Deerstalkers. I wanted a longer barreled gun. I never figured the stock would and issue. If i were alot younger i would cope with it!

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 12:37 PM

Well, I have shot this rifle since 1977, never have come close to dislocating my arm!!!
This is the best I could do for a picture, talk about a selfie!!! :)

This is where I put the butt plate when shooting...

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 12:40 PM

Here is the rifle by itself...

Blackpowdersmoke 01-11-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4115418)

nchawkeye,

Guess I just never noticed but after seeing your photo, I grabbed up one of my Hawken rifles and shouldered it. It was resting pretty much where your rifle is in the picture.

BPS

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 01:30 PM

That's what I'm saying BPS, now my early Lancaster stock, which is flat, goes to the shoulder...

Blackpowdersmoke 01-11-2014 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4115435)
That's what I'm saying BPS, now my early Lancaster stock, which is flat, goes to the shoulder...

Yes exactly!!! Just did the same check with one of my Renegades which are a flat plate and you're right, it lays right on the shoulder.

BPS

cayugad 01-11-2014 01:45 PM

I own two of them. The first range trip was an eye opener. It was summer time, so T shirts were the dress of the day. And I tried to shoulder it like any normal rifle. Well I felt the recoil. But I found slipping it just off the main shoulder joint to the upper arm, it balanced out the rifle and recoil was almost no existent. Of course, I was not shooting heavy loads at the time.

RobertSubnet 01-11-2014 01:53 PM

Nice jammies. ;)

nchawkeye 01-11-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet (Post 4115443)
Nice jammies. ;)

Aren't you glad I put them on????? :jaw:

Blackpowdersmoke 01-11-2014 07:42 PM

nchawkeye,

Maybe it's me or one of those weird tricks your mind plays on you at times, but the rifle you're holding in the "selfie" clearly looks like a left hand rifle. In your next post when you show the rifle by itself, it is definitely a right hand rifle...???? Anyone else see it that way?

BPS

nchawkeye 01-12-2014 04:29 AM

The first pic is taken in a mirror...

Blackpowdersmoke 01-12-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4115543)
The first pic is taken in a mirror...

DUUUHHH!!...You'd think I would have thought of that. Maybe senility is setting in after all! :biggrin:

BPS

rafsob 01-12-2014 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 4115401)
Eeeeasy now rafsob...you'll be accused of being negative and called a grumpy old man! But don't fret it because THIS grumpy old man totally agrees with you! :happy0001:

BPS

Sorry Coach, I'll do better next time!!! :arms:

rafsob 01-12-2014 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4115418)
Well, I have shot this rifle since 1977, never have come close to dislocating my arm!!!
This is the best I could do for a picture, talk about a selfie!!! :)

Hey Hawkeye, nice jammies!!!!! :sign0004:

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

rafsob 01-12-2014 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mounting man (Post 4115413)
Why did i buy it? Well,because of the rep of Lyman BP guns and i have a couple of the Deerstalkers. I wanted a longer barreled gun. I never figured the stock would and issue. If i were alot younger i would cope with it!

Hey pal, not trying to bust your… These stock designs are different, but if mounted in a proper firing position they do shoot comfortably. I have a GPR flinter and love it. But I do admit, I have to remember to mount it in the proper way. They do take some time getting used to and I do prefer the shotgun buttstock myself. They come up faster and more comfortably.

Bugflipper 01-13-2014 12:33 AM

I can see what you mean, my shoulder just barely wedges in. I would like to add that though I am a renegade fan it takes a whole lot more working with patch, powder and ball to get a super accurate load in one with that 1-48 compromise twist and shallow rifling. To get them to shoot under an inch they aren't easy to load anymore with a tight ball and patch.
It's harder to find green mountain barrels these days in a slow twist. You can make one for about $250 (not including dove tail jigs) or have one made off a barrel blank for about $350 or send a 50 cal to Bobby Hoyt and have him rebore it to 54, 58 or 62 with a slow twist for $100. Personally I wouldn't worry about resale though. They are fine rifles. Right now you don't like it so it has no value besides how much it's worth. If you do like it then that might change and you may not want to get rid of it.