Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it. >

LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

I hate the half moon on the rear of my stock!!!!!! After 8 shots,i am ready to sell the gun? I thought about cutting it off and putting a flat brass but plate on it. Then again,i don't want to hurt the resale value of the gun? I should just sell it.
How did they ever shoot or why did they ever make the stocks this way?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

With that type stock, you don't put it against your shoulder as you would say a shotgun...Put it between your shoulder and upper arm, it's made that way for off hand shooting...

Have fun!!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

why do you hate it is my question. that crescent buttplate was designed to wrap around your shoulder. And the muzzleloader does not have a lot of recoil even with a 100 gr charge and 300 gr bullet. (50 cal).
Old 01-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

This seems to be an issue that comes up occasionally. Is there any chance someone that has a gun with a crescent buttplate can take a few pictures of how to/how not to shoulder the gun. I don't currently have anything with that style plate or I would. Just thought it might help out.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This seems to be an issue that comes up occasionally. Is there any chance someone that has a gun with a crescent buttplate can take a few pictures of how to/how not to shoulder the gun. I don't currently have anything with that style plate or I would. Just thought it might help out.
Indeed it would and this is a great idea...maybe something for the reference section: "Shouldering A Rifle With A Crescent Butt Stock."

I also have a GPR and it is mostly a safe queen because I do not think I am shouldering it correctly. Isn't it supposed to hook into your armpit?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just move it off the shoulder to where the arm and shoulder meet...

Why is a picture needed for that???
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just move it off the shoulder to where the arm and shoulder meet...

Why is a picture needed for that???
Because it seems like it will dislocate my arm if I do that!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friend has a GPR .54 and although the crescent butt plate on a GPR is more pronounced than the T/C Hawken's, I didn't notice any real difference between the two when shooting them together. Maybe it's because I've owned Hawken rifles for years and grew up with that style of butt plate. He on the other hand, doesn't like it and wishes he had bought a Renegade.

BPS
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Sell it and buy an inline.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Omega45
Sell it and buy an inline.
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.