Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
swabing between shots? >

swabing between shots?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

swabing between shots?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default swabing between shots?

im new to muzzleloading and wandered if I should swab between shots when shooting? I use Pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets, and if I do what should I use?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only powder which you should not swab between shots with is Blackhorn with Pyrodex on the range I would swab between shots for max accuracy, when hunting I do not for up to 3 shots.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

ok thanks I will, also what do you use when swabing?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
im new to muzzleloading and wandered if I should swab between shots when shooting? I use Pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets, and if I do what should I use?
You are going to have to let your MZ tell you if you should swab between shots to get the best accuracy.

The clinical answer is yes you should swab between shots with Pyrodex to maintain a clean bore because the stuff is corrosive.

However in a hunting situation this is not always practical or necessary. Especially if you are taking the MZ home at the end of the day and cleaning it.

Going back to your MZ if it will tell you if it likes to be shot clean or fouled! Some MZ's do not shoot very well on a clean bore and take a certain amount of fouling to get to shoot well. I have always ditched those MZ in favor of MZ's that shoot to point of impact on a clean, dirty or indifferent barrel but that is me. Test your MZ both ways and see where you point of impact is. If it likes it clean my suggestion is swab between shots with Pyrodex whenever practical..

You are shooting Powerbelts and all the Powerbelt pros will tell you that swabbing between shots is not necessary. I am sure that is true. I am sure its true that leaves a false sense of security for a lot of folks and there are a lot of pitted barrels across this world of ours due to the fact people are led into that false sense of security of not swabbing or leaving their barrels unattended for longer periods of time. Shooting it opening day and reloading it in a hurry then leaving it loaded having good intentions of cleaning it when they get home or cleaning it next week then forgetting about it for weeks on end. How many times have you seen it??? Too many times for my liking.

So I say Swab it inbetween with Pyrodex.

Last edited by edwardCVAmason; 01-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
ok thanks I will, also what do you use when swabing?
That varies amoungst hunters.

Some like to use Windex. Some use just spit.

A product that I am recommending for swabbing is Butches Bore Shine for MZ. Watch the Video on this page for instructions on the "proper" method to apply. http://ultimatefirearms.com/

The key is not to WET the matches but to get them just damp to the touch. That way you do not get your powder or action wet.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Windex works just fine to swab with. If its bitter cold where you live, add some isopropyl alcohol to the Windex. It will help with freezing problems. Also after you do the "damp and not wet by any means" swab patch, be sure to run a dry patch or two after it.

A lot of rifles shooting powerbelts don't need to be swabbed until like the third or fourth shot. It all depends on how tight a bore your rifle has. But personally, I swab when shooting powerbelts. I get better accuracy.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Spike

Its completely whatever you prefer. personally I do not. I just clean it when I'm all done for the day or season. My brother likes to clean between every shot, even while hunting. I don't like being in the woods with an empty gun because when I deer hunt we do Drives/Pushes. It all depends on who you are.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

everything but blackhorn I run a spit patch between shots. And I run the same dry patch for a few shots before I go to a new dry patch, just because I'm cheap
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

When on the range, I'm usually using pyrodex and I use a spit patch to swab between shots. It just helps to knock down the fouling, making loading easier for me. I never swab when hunting. I just reload asap after shooting.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I swab with either a patch lightly sprayed with rubbing alcohol or believe it or not, baby wipes, just tear off what size you need and swab...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.