HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Whats it worth? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/388708-whats-worth.html)

WV Hunter 01-06-2014 01:22 PM

Whats it worth?

I've come across a pristine stainless mk-85 .50 cal barrel. No stock, trigger, bp, hammer, ramrod... its just the barrel. It does not appear to have been fired, but I can't be sure.

Curious what you guys think its worth? Or what would be a fair price for it? I don't really need it...but you know how that is.

SuperKirby 01-08-2014 05:40 AM

Offer 50 for it and see what happens? You can probably piece the rest of it together pretty cheap if needed.

WV Hunter 01-08-2014 06:17 AM

Yeah, I might see if I can get it for a good price. I certainly don't need it, I already have several SS MK's...was thinking I could pick it up, peice it together and maybe sell it.

Heck, even as is it would be perfect for someone that has an MK with a rusted/pitted barrel, or that wants to upgrade from blued to SS and already has all the parts.

edwardCVAmason 01-08-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4113958)
I've come across a pristine stainless mk-85 .50 cal barrel. No stock, trigger, bp, hammer, ramrod... its just the barrel. It does not appear to have been fired, but I can't be sure.

Curious what you guys think its worth? Or what would be a fair price for it? I don't really need it...but you know how that is.

$85 was the going price back when GM was selling them to the public.

Since they are out of production its a crap shoot on pricing.

A blank from Green Mountain now days cost about $130. Any Green Mountain Barrel in Good shape should be worth about $85 to $100 bucks I would think. It would certainly bring a higher premium if it were .54 cal. .50 cal was much more conman. As Super Kirby suggested start with a low ball and see where that takes you.

I am pretty shocked at some of the reports that I hear of good ole boy deals on MK-85's. Peeps on boards are bragging that they are buying them used in the $150 to $200 range. I am sure not seeing them at that sort of price anywhere. Not that I am in the market for one but $250 to $300 seems to be more of the going rate based on Auctions and asking prices on most of the boards. Someone listed a New Never fired SS MK85 in .54 cal for $350 on MM the other day. That seems more like a going price to me. But then again I am not the buyer of such a item and not in the market for such so maybe I am not the target audience.

I kinda chuckle thinking back to all those snobs that got hung up on the firing pin vs plunger MZ debates back in the day. Its like they forgot how great the MK85 really shot regardless of the delayed lock time. Sometimes these boards just make you go HMMMMM

Good luck with your MK85 rehab.

edwardCVAmason 01-08-2014 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4114383)
Yeah, I might see if I can get it for a good price. I certainly don't need it, I already have several SS MK's...was thinking I could pick it up, peice it together and maybe sell it.

Heck, even as is it would be perfect for someone that has an MK with a rusted/pitted barrel, or that wants to upgrade from blued to SS and already has all the parts.

Based on what I said about reports of members saying they are picking them up for $150 to $200 (if that is true which I have my doubts) then you are really going to have to buy the barrel cheap and the rest cheap to turn any sort of profit. I do not see any dollar signs there.

On the other hand if you bought it now and held onto it and advertised it for a drop in for someone with a washed out or pitted barrel next hunting season you might make a good bit of money there. Especially if you could offer the service of installing the barrel for them.

Well that's my advice.

WV Hunter 01-08-2014 07:36 AM

It can be a crapshoot on values for sure. I agree with you, a very good condition used MK, SS ... going rate is $250-$300. I have personally picked up 2 in the past few years for under that, but I was on the hunt for them...and maybe I got lucky. I believe finding them under $200 would be very rare, but I'm sure it happens once in a while.
I have seen them for alot more, that is for sure. Blued would be less on avg, and of course condition has everything to do with value.

I'll probably pick it up if I can get it for a fair price.