HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Our Season's Over (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/388665-our-seasons-over.html)

rafsob 01-05-2014 11:10 AM

Our Season's Over

Had a good year in 2013. I lost a bunch of deer meat when my freezer was inadvertently turned off, by me!!! However, I did manage to refill the freezer with four deer, two doe and two bucks.

I also did manage to get a chance at two Bullwinkles. The first was a very nice large bodied and large racked buck. I thought I had him lined up in my sights and took the shot only to find out that he was traveling with a spike who got in front of him and that is who I shot. Oh well!!!

The second buck came in on me from behind and was standing in some pretty thick stuff. I also found out that he was following a doe and she came out into an opening and laid down. I waited for her to get up and move off so I could get my sights lined up on big boy. She got up alright, but took off like a rocket. I took the running shot, which I hate, and killed a nice pine tree instead. I stood there and watched them run around the ridge line that surrounded me. But luck would have it, 15 minutes later a four point buck came in the same place as the other two. He must have scented the doe. I put a bead on him and the rest is history.

I did go back up to hunt camp this past week, but didn't see anything period!!! I came home early on friday.

This past week we only managed to take four more deer. That put our club total at 76 deer taken for archery, ML, and gun season. I think our problem this year was no acorns. I noticed that our food plots were numbed to the ground. These deer were taking long hikes looking for something to eat. Hope next year is better.

All in all I took one deer with my bow, two with my CVA Apex, and one with my .308 Remington Model Seven. We will have an extended turkey season for two weeks in a couple of weeks. I may go back up. So in the end, I had a good season. Got to hunt with a great bunch of guys and loved every minute of my time at camp!!

WV Hunter 01-05-2014 12:44 PM

Good work Rafsob. :D

Yep, I live in VA so season ended yesterday for me too. I was out last evening, passed on 7 does/fawns and 1 buck that had already shed.

I took 3 does this year, 1 w/bow, 2 w/rifle, all in WV. We had no acorns here either, and the early season was very strange. Few sightings or opportunities.

After Thanksgiving, I saw deer almost every trip out. I had numerous opportunities at deer with my ML, but passed on all. Didn't need any meat, and was waiting on an opportunity at a couple nice bucks we had around. I only saw 1 shooter buck this year and didn't get an opportunity at him. I passed a number of bucks in WV...and several here in VA, nothing I wanted to shoot. Overall I can't complain. I have plenty of meat and some more good memories :D

Good luck to anyone still hunting!

Mike

cayugad 01-05-2014 12:58 PM

Well I am glad to hear you had a successful season. And most of all a safe season.

edwardCVAmason 01-05-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4113682)
Had a good year in 2013. I lost a bunch of deer meat when my freezer was inadvertently turned off, by me!!! However, I did manage to refill the freezer with four deer, two doe and two bucks.

I also did manage to get a chance at two Bullwinkles. The first was a very nice large bodied and large racked buck. I thought I had him lined up in my sights and took the shot only to find out that he was traveling with a spike who got in front of him and that is who I shot. Oh well!!!

The second buck came in on me from behind and was standing in some pretty thick stuff. I also found out that he was following a doe and she came out into an opening and laid down. I waited for her to get up and move off so I could get my sights lined up on big boy. She got up alright, but took off like a rocket. I took the running shot, which I hate, and killed a nice pine tree instead. I stood there and watched them run around the ridge line that surrounded me. But luck would have it, 15 minutes later a four point buck came in the same place as the other two. He must have scented the doe. I put a bead on him and the rest is history.

I did go back up to hunt camp this past week, but didn't see anything period!!! I came home early on friday.

This past week we only managed to take four more deer. That put our club total at 76 deer taken for archery, ML, and gun season. I think our problem this year was no acorns. I noticed that our food plots were numbed to the ground. These deer were taking long hikes looking for something to eat. Hope next year is better.

All in all I took one deer with my bow, two with my CVA Apex, and one with my .308 Remington Model Seven. We will have an extended turkey season for two weeks in a couple of weeks. I may go back up. So in the end, I had a good season. Got to hunt with a great bunch of guys and loved every minute of my time at camp!!

Sounds like you have a nice set up with the Apex and the .308 Model 7. Anytime you can get one with a Bow its a good one.

gregrn43 01-05-2014 01:25 PM

Sounds like a pretty good season to me. congratulations

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

pluckit 01-06-2014 02:01 AM

That sounds great rafsob. No pictures though? From what I've been reading in posts the deer seem to be plentiful everywhere. At least they certainly are here.

SuperKirby 01-06-2014 04:50 AM

Congrats on a great season. Glad you got to restock your freezer. Sounds like you guys have a lot more deer running around then we do, at leas this year. I don't know if it was weather related or what, but here in MN our overall harvest was down something like 15-20%. And unfortunately I don't think this winter is going to help them out much.

JGeBaide 01-06-2014 05:11 AM

Not everywhere unfortunately. I lease from the paper company and have had the lease and building it for three years now. This year the paper company decided to also sub lease the area to a company to rake and bale pine straw. I ended up with a cull buck during bow season but I could have bagged out on Mexicans almost every day. If the straw company renews their lease I will be moving again. Being unhappy with the situation doesn’t begin to describe it!

goneishn 01-06-2014 03:45 PM

I live va and shot 4 all in Amherst co. 3 with the muzzleloader 1 with 308, 8pt spike and 2 does

rafsob 01-09-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JGeBaide (Post 4113820)
Not everywhere unfortunately. I lease from the paper company and have had the lease and building it for three years now. This year the paper company decided to also sub lease the area to a company to rake and bale pine straw. I ended up with a cull buck during bow season but I could have bagged out on Mexicans almost every day. If the straw company renews their lease I will be moving again. Being unhappy with the situation doesn’t begin to describe it!

I know how you feel. Our property owner leases hunting and farming rights. No problem with the farmer, he is a great guy. But the owner likes to harvest his timber right in the middle of big game season!!!!!!

I don't blame him for making money. Big money in timber, but right in the middle of our season!?!?!? We are paying a premium price an acre for the hunting rights and I just think they could do their cutting during January and February!!! We are really locked in to this place and no one wants to rock the boat and loose the place.