HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What to do for 2014? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/388585-what-do-2014-a.html)

SuperKirby 01-02-2014 06:16 AM

What to do for 2014?

New year, new hunting season. Time to start planning for a new season.
This last hunting season I borrowed my old barrel for my Pro Hunter frame from my father in law to hunt with. He wants it back and now I'm figuring out what my hunting plans will be this year. I really hope to focus more on the hunt, not just what I'm hunting with. I've been working a ton of hours this fall and winter and hoping to make a "big" purchase this spring. Problem is I'm torn on what route to go.
Incidentally I have an Elk hunt planned for 2015 with my Dad, so whatever route I go is going with me on that hunt.

1) Smokelesss barrel on the Encore frame - had one of these before, sold it for medical bills. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy shooting it quite as much, but did get to shoot it more often because it didn't have to be cleaned.

2) Build a kit. Something from TOW or Pecatonica. Something I've wanted to do for awhile but honestly don't know if I have that much skill or not.

3) Some sort of inline. My only interest at the moment would be an Ultra Lite, but nowhere around has one I can shoulder. The last muzzleloader I bought without shouldering first didn't quite fit me and I was real disappointed.

4) I have a Contender with .45 barrel. I like the size of it but haven't hunted with it. Maybe just use this?

5) Put down my muzzleloaders for a couple years and buy a bow and required accessories.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-02-2014 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 4113021)
New year, new hunting season. Time to start planning for a new season.
I really hope to focus more on the hunt, not just what I'm hunting with. I've been working a ton of hours this fall and winter and hoping to make a "big" purchase this spring. Problem is I'm torn on what route to go.

1) Smokeless barrel on the Encore frame - had one of these before, sold it for medical bills. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy shooting it quite as much, but did get to shoot it more often because it didn't have to be cleaned.

2) Build a kit. Something from TOW or Pecatonica. Something I've wanted to do for awhile but honestly don't know if I have that much skill or not.

3) Some sort of inline. My only interest at the moment would be an Ultra Lite, but nowhere around has one I can shoulder. The last muzzleloader I bought without shouldering first didn't quite fit me and I was real disappointed.

4) I have a Contender with .45 barrel. I like the size of it but haven't hunted with it. Maybe just use this?

5) Put down my muzzleloaders for a couple years and buy a bow and required accessories.

Well if it were me....

1. Absolutely not. As far as I'm concerned it's outright BLASPHEMY to use a smokeless powder muzzleloader.

2. That would be an option, I'm sure I'm skilled enough, just not sure I would want to devote the time involved (at least for now).

3. Nope...not even interested.

4. Another option. I have a Contender with a 7-30 Waters barrel and I have Vaquero in .45 LC with dies so I have pondered getting a .45 barrel for the Contender for awhile.

5. I've bowhunted since the seventies. Had to go with a crossbow in recent years due to physical limitations (it sucks getting old) and although I still enjoy hunting the archery season with it, it just doesn't feel like I'm bowhunting. Feels too much like I'm using a firearm. I shot my buck this year with it but to be honest, I would have enjoyed it more had I got him with a flintlock. And...I could NEVER put down my muzzleloaders for a couple of years!

BPS

TNHagies 01-02-2014 07:01 AM

1-Smokeless is a different challenge. If that's what you are looking for, I say go for it.

2 - Kits are great because you get to learn a lot of things and you get to drink a lot of coffee and play with guns and carpentry tools. What's not to love?

3 - You're right, not much new out there.

4 - First kills on a particular gun is special for me. I seem to always remember those.

5 - If that's something you haven't done in a while, I say go for it. I love to bowhunt and it greatly extends my season which is always a plus for any hunter.

WV Hunter 01-02-2014 09:52 AM

I love bowhunting. Certainly it can get pricey to get set up, but you could cut the costs some if you don't get brand new equipment - or top tier equipment. I love hunting in Oct, the deer are not pressured at all...weather is usually great. If you go this route, you will most likely need a treestand so think about that.

Since you said you already have a hunt planned for Elk in 2015, an Ultra Lite would be a great choice, (and my choice).

So I guess you have to decide - if it was me, I would figure out how to do both. Cut the costs down on the archery side, and pick up a decent new/used inline for cheap too. In all the years I've bowhunted I've never not gone ML hunting too. I wouldn't want to have to choose between them, love to do both. For many years I bowhunted a ton, but in the past few years I have ML hunted more than bow due to time and schedule. But I still bowhunt and got a doe this year.

Good luck, way to start planning early :D

Edit: I guess you could get a bow and use your contender for ML. That is another option.

10 ga 01-06-2014 04:48 PM

Super, I voted new inline, and make it a SML! You can use BH209 or even go back to holy black with the right gun if regs make that a necessity. AND I'd build (put together) my own. Track down the donor of choice, you already have an encore so go that way if ya want, then a barrel and the extras. If the Encore route then get a BullBerry barrel to your liking in 45-70 or a 50 and have Slufoot convert. Or go ahead ang get a Savage MLII for the Elk thing and put a 45 Pac on it later and you'll have a switchbarrel. Or get a Stevens CF and Hunter kit and a 50 takeoff from somebody with a Savage and build that. Lots of ways to go and "build" your own gun. I know you go to Dougs and there is a list of 30 different actions there that have had ML built on them. Just my $.02 10 ga

PS. I am also a believer in great classic MLs, there are so few. Lurk about and find a White Rifle or a Fort Worth in .504 and shoot black and big conicals. Super accurate and kill like lightning. You will never regret having one.

hubby11 01-07-2014 05:04 AM

No intention of getting another ML, quite happy with the two I have. During the off season I plan on working up a decent lead conical and BH209 load for my Disc Extreme. That will likely take quite a few range sessions.

SuperKirby 01-07-2014 05:31 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I've narrowed down my options some, but haven't made a final decision yet. I got the results back from an MRI on my shoulder and I don't think a bow is going to happen at this time. And besides, I don't know that I could put down my muzzleloaders anyway. I know for sure I'm going to switch to .45. For me the benefits of a .45 outweigh a .50, and I checked the regs on any state that I would hunt in the near future and a .45 is legal for deer or elk.
Now I just have to decide within that. I have a little time so we'll see what happens.

falcon 01-07-2014 05:42 AM

Will continue to shoot what i have. Will start melting lead and making bullets this year.

10 ga 01-07-2014 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 4114137)
Thanks for the input guys. I know for sure I'm going to switch to .45. For me the benefits of a .45 outweigh a .50, and I checked the regs on any state that I would hunt in the near future and a .45 is legal for deer or elk.
Now I just have to decide within that. I have a little time so we'll see what happens.

That makes it easy super. You can go with a conversion and they are easy to do and shoot really good. My Encore conversion is lights out. Or go to SMI or Bulberry and get a 45 bbl from them for your Encore. Or get/build a 45 SML on another action, easy to use BH209 if necessary in them too. Or lurk about and get a White Rifle in 45, they are classic, and as I said super accurate and kill like lightning, those big conicals really work on most anything. Good luck with the new rifle. 10