Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Optima V2 or Wolf?? >

Optima V2 or Wolf??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Optima V2 or Wolf??

Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure about the receivers- anyone else chime in?

The Optima seems a little more "solid" of a rifle to me, if that makes any sense. But I have the blued Wolf as compared to the SS Optima - so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Having said that, I like my Wolf. I have it set up for my dad to use when we go hunting once or twice a year. I probably shoot it less than 20 times a year. My dad's eyes are failing him, so he won't shoot past 50 - 60 yards. So I have it set up for a 50 yard shot with a lighter powder charge (also bad shoulder). It groups well at that range, is 100% reliable in ignition and is very light and easy to carry. He likes it a lot and has taken a couple deer with it.

What kind of hunting are you doing? Is it mostly close range (under 100 yards?). The Wolf is a really nice treestand rifle for close range work - short barrel, light, handy. It also works well for drives in thick stuff. If I was going to be shooting mostly longer ranges (more than 100 yards), personally I would get the Optima.

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 01-03-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did notice that the Optima seemed to have a little more "heft" then the Wolf, and it does weigh a little more. I used a '94 Win. for years, so I do like short, handy guns. I use a scoped 30-06 for longer range. The area that my sons and a grandson hunt in is between two creeks, the ridges are "old field", some are kept clear of brush, some not. I do more riding around on a four wheeler to scare up something for the others then I do hunting myself. We do have tree stands and platform stands, some long range, some short. Blackpowder season is usually much colder, so I would be in a blind somewhere trying to keep warm. That would probably mean short range. I will scope the gun with a low power scope tho. My Scottish ancestors are saying "Wolf", but the Optima is arractive. Thanks for the comments.