HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Thompson Center Renegade 54 Cal Flintlock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/388540-thompson-center-renegade-54-cal-flintlock.html)

gtonini 01-01-2014 06:15 AM

Thompson Center Renegade 54 Cal Flintlock

Hi

I built this from a kit 26 years ago. I shot it twice back then I'm looking for advice on what bullets and powder will work well with this rifle. I know about the patched round ball but are there other bullets out today that you dont need patches with I also saw a article about something called swiss black powder any help and advice would greatly be appreciated I would like to hunt white tail deer with this any info how many grains of powder for load etc.

Johnmorris 01-01-2014 07:48 AM

I use 80 gr 2f goex with a PRB and felt patch on top of the powder. I have also had good luck with Power belts. I like 3 of 4 f in the pan.

Semisane 01-01-2014 08:26 AM

There are several conicals you can try if you're so inclined gtonini. As Johnmorris stated, there are about a half dozen PowerBelt models and weights in .54 caliber, as well as the 425 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet and the 420 grain TC Maxi-Ball. But I'm of the opinion that in .54 caliber a patched round ball will do all that needs doing on whitetails.

Swiss powder has a good reputation. I've never used it so can't say any more that that about it. It's the most expensive of the black powder options and not as readily available as others. I've used GOEX for years with no complaints.

I have three .54s that I shoot round balls from, two caplocks and a flintlock. The flinter favors 95 grains of GOEX FFFg under a patched ball. One of the caplocks shoots best with a hefty load of 105 grains of FFg. But all of my barrels have a slower twist rate than your Renegade, which has a rate of one turn in 48" (1:48"). I suspect you will get the best accuracy with something in the 70 to 80 grain range, which is plenty for whitetails out to 100 yards. You just have to do some careful shooting over a bench to find the load your barrel likes best.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

gtonini 01-01-2014 08:36 AM

What size round ball and patch thickness and lube do you use

Semisane 01-01-2014 09:21 AM

I use .535 home cast balls and .018 pillow tick patches with Liquid Wrench as the lube. It's a very tight load that takes a sharp whack on the short starter to get down the first few inches. After that it's easy to push down the bore. A .570 ball is easier loading and almost as accurate as the tighter load.

nchawkeye 01-01-2014 10:12 AM

No conical needed when using a .54 on deer...

Anywhere from 70-90grs FF or FFF Goex is plenty...

I'd start with a .530 ball and buy .018 patches and lube
with SnoSeal to start...

Sight in about 2 inches high at 50 yards and you will be
dead on at 75 and about 2-3 inches low at 100 with these
loads...

Rebstud 01-01-2014 02:10 PM

Where you guys getting your 54cal. Supply's. I live in Orlando, Fl. And have checked the local Bass Pro shop, and Gander Mountain. Plenty of 50cal stuff but no 54. Thanks. Wade

nchawkeye 01-01-2014 02:51 PM

I have made my own balls since the early 80s, that way you have what you need...

I make .530s for my .54 and .390s for my .40...

I have both Lee molds and Rapine bag molds for my .54, only a Rapine for my .40...

If you don't want to make your own, order from Track of the Wolf...They even have .526s for .54s with a tight bore or for that quick second shot without swabbing... :)

bronko22000 01-01-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4112841)
I use .535 home cast balls and .018 pillow tick patches with Liquid Wrench as the lube. It's a very tight load that takes a sharp whack on the short starter to get down the first few inches. After that it's easy to push down the bore. A .570 ball is easier loading and almost as accurate as the tighter load.

Our friend Semisane must have sipped a bit too much scotch celebrating new years day. I believe it would take a bit more effort to load a .570" ball into your .54 than a .535". I'm sure he meant a
.530" ball. Your Renegade will shoot plenty accurately enough with round balls out to 100 yds once you find the right load combination and is all you need for deer. A conical would be quite a bit heavier and be harder on your shoulder.

Semisane 01-01-2014 04:20 PM